Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Half Basket of lump - does it work?

Options
I've been intrigued by KAB's basket divider lately, and the Father In Law just got a Primo JR 200 with their version of the divider.  I'm looking to do some brats & Italian sausages soon, and the foodie websites are all promoting a split grill with direct and indirect (hot/cold) zones. I've got some extra fire bricks I can use to block off half of my basket and create the two zones... BUT,
I'm thinking that since my LBGE is an enclosed, ceramic heatin' up kind of cooker, that the two-zone approach sorta becomes a moot point.

Anyone out there do the split basket, two-zone cooks with the lid down and still get the smokiness in the food yet the flexibility of the two zones?
Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    vb4677 said:

I'm thinking that since my LBGE is an enclosed, ceramic heatin' up kind of cooker, that the two-zone approach sorta becomes a moot point.

I'm with you on this... I'd rather just use a partial heat deflector for my "cool zone". 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    vb4677 said:

I'm with you on this... I'd rather just use a partial heat deflector for my "cool zone". 
    I like the idea. Half a basket normally where the coal is spread out doesn’t always burn as well as when it’s in close proximity to the other pieces. Being able to have half the lump but burn like it’s full makes sense when you add in a half moon to get a hot and a cool side 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    It would be more effective in the XL BGE because it's a lot more shallow with the basket/divider closer to the food.  Running a half basket in the Large is a long way from the food.
  • EggbertGreenII
    Options
    I have used it in my XL in conjunction with the Joetisserie, and it works great with the lid closed. I know this isn't exactly what you're asking, but the KAB Divider is a great piece of equipment.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    vb4677 said:

Yeah, I was trying to avoid buying anything more for my LBGE at the moment... saving my pennies for a FlameBoss!  But yeah, I'm really wondering how effective/viable it would be to split the basket of lump, considering it's all in the Egg together anyway.  I guess I'll just have to give it a try and see what happens...
  • vb4677
    Options
    It would be more effective in the XL BGE because it's a lot more shallow with the basket/divider closer to the food.  Running a half basket in the Large is a long way from the food.
    Right!  And like even in my FIL's new Primo JR, it makes sense- due to that oval shape.  But in the LBGE, it's really a vertical chimney...so I don't know if there really is such a thing as a cool side...

• SonVolt
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I've just had to accept that the BGE isn't a kettle and stopped trying to use it like one.... learn to adapt to it, instead of the other way around. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • vb4677
    Options
    Yeah, I'm pretty convinced splitting it may not do much for me, but I'll give it a shake tomorrow night with the brats and what not... and we'll see what happens!

• SonVolt
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Brats don't need an indirect side, just cook them on the grate in a pan with  beer/onions so they poach away... then sear them hot right at the end. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Actually I bet you will be surprised with the way (I hate to say it) reverse seared brat turns out.   The snap of the skin it awesome and you generally don’t split the skin losing all that good flavor.  

After all that I still didn’t help you with your split bowl question.  Sorry but I gotz nuthin.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • EGGHEAD83
    EGGHEAD83 Posts: 61
    Options
    I’ve got the hi que basket with the divider and it works pretty well in my large. My first cook with it was brats. Cooked on the cool side then seared on the hot side. The hi que basket isn’t being produced right now but the KAB version looks like it should be just as good. 
    Large BGE, small BGE, 2-22” Weber kettles, 26” Weber kettle, Weber jumbo joe, 14” WSM, 17” BS and 36” BS. Hope Mills, NC. USA. 
  • vb4677
    Options
    Actually I bet you will be surprised with the way (I hate to say it) reverse seared brat turns out.   The snap of the skin it awesome and you generally don’t split the skin losing all that good flavor.  

After all that I still didn’t help you with your split bowl question.  Sorry but I gotz nuthin.  
    A few years prior to the LBGE, I smoked some brats in the gas smoker, then 'warmed them up' on my gas grill, and it was my BIL who mentioned he really like how that snap was... good to think about, for sure !

• vb4677
    Options
    EGGHEAD83 said:
    I’ve got the hi que basket with the divider and it works pretty well in my large. My first cook with it was brats. Cooked on the cool side then seared on the hot side. The hi que basket isn’t being produced right now but the KAB version looks like it should be just as good. 
    So, were you able to tell a substantial difference between the hot & cool sides?
  • EGGHEAD83
    EGGHEAD83 Posts: 61
    Options
    I could for sure. I didn’t use anything to measure the temp difference but when the brats were on the indirect side they were cooking and lightly browning but when on the direct side they formed a nice sear and turned into your typical looking brat. I really like having the option. Wasn’t sure if I would use it but the hi que basket came with the divider so I gave it a try and I’ve been pleased with it. 
    Large BGE, small BGE, 2-22” Weber kettles, 26” Weber kettle, Weber jumbo joe, 14” WSM, 17” BS and 36” BS. Hope Mills, NC. USA. 
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    The CGS dividers work well in my XL   not sure how they would be in large
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston