Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Since it's National Chicken Wing Day-favorite part of the wing-drumettes or flappers

lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,168
I much prefer the flappers-seems they finish with more moisture (inside) and a great surface to sauce area.  
And the audience says??
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Either, just serve them up.....
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    The only wings I don’t like are the drumettes that have huge chunks of extra fat/skin/tendon/tumor on them.  Always hack that off.
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Flappers. All day. Separate the bones on one end, dip, then slide the whole shootin match right down your gullet. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I'm a drum guy. Fortunately my wife likes the flats. Win/Win here at the house
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Flappers for me Cap.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I don’t separate can I still participate?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Fredb
    Fredb Posts: 89
    Flappers, for sure!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @Mattman3969 - I don't buy that for a minute...but find a safe place and go for it.  Perhaps talk with the all-knowing and omnipotent diamond plate and you will be shown the light...  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    WeberWho said:
    I’m a flat guy and my wife used to be a drum person. It was blissful. She has now converted to flats - ugh. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Love both. When I was in school there was a sports bar called Gators Dockside that had all you can eat wings for $9.99 on Monday’s. My friends and I would go at least once a month, if not more to get our full. They served them 3 ways (breaded/naked/grilled) and had a variety of sauces (hot teriyaki, chipotle bbq, scooter (a sweetish buffalo) were my go to’s). Lots of options and variations. One of my friends in particular would get his all flats double tossed, every time. Never understood the pickiness but we would proceed to give him gripe every time he ordered them and the waitress would give her eyeroll. 

Moral of of the story is I love chicken wings and about to cook some up. Happy chicken wing day everyone!
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    The drums are easier to dunk into a dipping cup, but I still prefer the flats.  If the drums are lean and petite, I like them with my flats.  If the drums are large and fatty, they go into the trash.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    WeberWho said:
    I’m a flat guy and my wife used to be a drum person. It was blissful. She has now converted to flats - ugh. 
    Same here. Flat guy. Converted my wife too. 
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    @lousubcap - I like either or and have no preference.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I am a drum side guy myself.....though I eat both with a smile (and some sauce) on my face. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    I am a drum side guy myself.....though I eat both with a smile (and some sauce) on my face. 
    Store-bought sauce you say?
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 579
    Flappers all day. Still in search of somewhere that will sell me just the flaps and no drums. 
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    I am in the Flat camp. I will any wing that is put in front of me but I always eat the flats first!
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    edited July 2018
    Flapper are my favorite, and how come you can buy  drumettes only but not flappers only. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    FrostyEgg said:
    Flappers all day. Still in search of somewhere that will sell me just the flaps and no drums. 
    Don’t know where you are located, but, HEB in Texas sells packs of flappers, packs of drumettes and packs of whole wings.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    flappers for me also, but a quick stop at the grocery store after church today this is all they had.  I thank all you guys for the Korean sause suggestion !

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    FrostyEgg said:
    Don’t know if you have a Fresh Market nearby - ours will occasionally have a pile of separated wings at the meat counter, and you can request which part you want.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Flappers all the way. Works out nicely as the wife prefers the drumettes.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Flappers for sure
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    flappers for the "w" here.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Don't much care - I like'em both.

I only put half the portion on my plate at a time.  That way when I'm done and disappointed, I get that happy moment when I realize half are left.

@bgebrent Are you saying Robin buys store bought sauce??  I thought the only people who did this were the same people who use parchment paper for pizza...

Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    blasting said:

Don't much care - I like'em both.

I only put half the portion on my plate at a time.  That way when I'm done and disappointed, I get that happy moment when I realize half are left.

@bgebrent Are you saying Robin buys store bought sauce??  I thought the only people who did this were the same people who use parchment paper for pizza...

Yes!  He used store-bought sauce at wing ding. Parchment paper has many uses ;). Not so much for store bought wing sauce in a competition. 
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Drummies by a narrow
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Kcheves
    Kcheves Posts: 92
    Drummies for me, no contest.  But I'll eat both.

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

San Diego, CA

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Flappers for me.  
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    I turn down neither, but I prefer the flapper for the surface to meat ratio. No where I shop has them separated into drums or flappers, so I suffer in silence with a sauce coated grin.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH