Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I ordered a BS but needed to try smash burgers B4 it arrived

So for lunch today my wife and I had a craving for burgers. I ordered my blackstone last week and it only comes in next week, we have never done smash burgers (dont know why) before and decided it was time. I lit the MM and I should have lit the XL or Lg as the CI pan I have is to big for the MM to close but oh well. I brought the egg and pan up to temp together and I will do the remainder of the cook with lid open anyway so probably no big deal. Here is where im at more to follow.

I also learned not to use plastic on CI to push grease around

All in all I think they came out good for a first run at it im sure ill imrpove

balls on for 15 seconds then flipped and pressed as fast as I could get them

then I flipped after after a minute

then added cheese and let it go for another minute

Then pulled and added some bacon

Finished product with a little gator pickles hot sauce and ketchup

Not sure if they were to red in the middle to be considered smash burgers but I like my burgers on the medium side.
They were juicy and my wife even liked them which is good because she has been not liking burgers lately

Anyway thanks for looking enjoy your day
Long Island NY    
1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18

Comments

• CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Looks great from here!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Your finished product looks great, and it's great you did that before your BS arrives.  The process of that cook will make you do backflips the first time you replicate it on a BS.  SO much easier.

Phoenix 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Awesome...
    You need more SMASH, but it's hard to do in a skillet.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Great looking burgers but to make smash burgers you need smaller balls B) I use 2oz and make 2 per person for a quarter pounder with lots of cheese.  Easier to smash for a nice crust and sooo tasty!
  • Possumtrot
    Possumtrot Posts: 245
    You might also try using a tool such as the scraper for the Blackstone to push down on the spatula to help press down harder for a thinner patty. Have done this myself and seen it in several places that use thin pattys.  
    Your sausages are gone - didn't share much. Great with several cheeses   Really good goat cheese works well.  

Near Music City in the Boro
    LBGE, Joe,Jr
    Free is better than cheap
    If it's worth telling, it's worth exaggerating

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    They can be done on the mini just the same 

But yeah my balls needed to be smaller as we’ll that’s a little over a 1b in those 4.

last week

Seattle, WA
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    You might also try using a tool such as the scraper for the Blackstone to push down on the spatula to help press down harder for a thinner patty. Have done this myself and seen it in several places that use thin pattys.  
    Your sausages are gone - didn't share much. Great with several cheeses   Really good goat cheese works well.  

Thanks for the tip.
    Glad you found a great pairing for the sausage. 
    Long Island NY    
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    id hit it.  nice looking burgers
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • mlc2013
    CigarCityEgger thanks and they tasted great as well
    blasting super excited for the easier part
    Photo Egg yes I do will et better i hope
    stv8r I made 6 balls out of a pound of chop so that a little over 2.6 ounce each, the next batch ill try smaller thanks for the tip
    johnnyp thanks they didnt disappoint
    Long Island NY    
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Hard to beat a smash.... yours look great
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    So, I have 2 long-handled spatulas, one is an MLB (Washington Nationals), the other I have had for decades.  Don't try doing smashburgers with the MLB tool. I just bends at the wood handle part. The other (heavier gauge steel) works great. 
  • mlc2013
    JohnnyTarheel thank you
    onedbguru I ordered the kit from BS that give 2 spatulas so hopefully they will be strong enough in the future. I didn't want to use the metal ones I have on the CI pan but after doing it i only need the rubber to flip and remove i could have used the metal to smash
    Long Island NY