Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first picanha

Options
I just read the post about the first tri-tip, so I figured I'd post up some pics of the picanha I did last week. Picanha, aka culotte, and most places it is considered tri-tip. This is the cap of the top sirloin; it is not  a tri-tip. I found one last week, mistakenly labeled tri-tip. Unfortunately, the butcher trimmed the whole piece; including the fat cap, which is ideal to keep on for the cook. 

You can watch vids on YT, about butchering and cleaning up a picanha. You want to cut off 
the piece after the third vein and use it for something else, as it is not as tender as the rest. 
I couldn't find the vein since mine was trimmed, so I  just hacked off a side piece where I thought
it would be, using a seam as a reference. 

Seasoned with coarse sea salt, and placed on my Brazilian skewer.

Had a hot fire going, closed the bottom vent, and just turned the skewer every couple of sips.
I rigged up a block so I could rotate it 90 deg.  

The proper Brazilian way to serve this, is to simple slice some off, and return to the fire for
some more cooking. It isn't a sit down meal per se; but more of a social way of eating bbq.
I watching the world cup semi with some friends, and I would just bring it in, slicing some off, 
return to finish off some more. 

I cannot emphasize how delicious this cut of meat is. I find it so hard to believe, that most butchers
that you ask about this cut, no nothing about it. 

Comments

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    very nice
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    My butcher shop starting offering this cut a few months ago but I've yet to try it.  Thanks for the write-up.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    One of my favorite cuts. How in the world did you know that was a mislabeled sirloin cap?  I would have thought that was a rump roast. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • hvhunter
    hvhunter Posts: 88
    Options
    The butcher told me, they were mislabeling them for years, labeling them tri-tip, when it was actually culotte as known here, or picanha.  I explained to him, that he needs to keep the fat cap on. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kLSy6bPWnk

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    I agree they are a hidden treasure and should be part of all eggers go to meats