Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lamb Question

Hi Guys,

I have had my XL BGE and mini for years and cooked everything from smoked salmon to pizza so I feel fairly confident in my abilities. I see all these posts about lamb on the BGE and how great it is.....  I have tried twice with Lamb chops from Costco and other places / butchers and when the fat hits the lump charcoal it creates a special kind of acrid smoke akin to burning tires! Here is the facts:
- No Rub
-marinade = Good olive oil, lemon juice and Greek oregano
-lump is SLC and burned off the VOC
-Grilled at (dome temp 375F) 

Keep in mind, we eat Lamb at least once or twice a week, my wife is from Greece and she knows her Lamb, I have even went to Greek butchers in Chicago and have the same issues.... I have to be overlooking something. Can you advise?

Thanks!

Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL

Comments

• bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    I like this receipe for rack of lamb. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/lamb-recipes/herbed-rack-lamb-lollipops-recipe
    I just used it today. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    1 st thing I'd try is putting just a little foil on a lower grill to keep the fat from hitting the lump. 2nd, go lighter on the olive oil, since the acrid flavors will stick to the oils, and any fat left on the surface.

Myself, I always use at least a little rub. Standard S&P, some rosemary, thyme.

How clean is the dome? Is it possible you might have creosote buildup, and that is dripping down.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    Here's a household favorite for a rack:

Rack of Lamb (Simply Recipes)  Cook time 25-30 Mins (to 130*F) at around 350-375*F raised (felt level) direct

Ingredients

·      1 or more Frenched lamb rib racks with 7 to 8 ribs each (1 1/4 to 2 pounds for each rack, figure each rack feeds 2-3 people)

For each rib rack:

·      2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary

·      1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme

·      2 cloves garlic, minced

·      Salt

·      Pepper

·      2 Tbsp olive oil (or as needed to get a good paste)

Marinate the lamb in the paste for several hours (or overnight) in the fridge then cook as above.   FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited July 2018
    When I use oil as a major component of any marinade I wipe the protein as dry as I can with paper towels before cooking. Reseason.

Edit: Actually I dry all of the meats as well as possible before hitting the grill.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2018
    Reverse sear works well with lamb chops... cook it ~250F until the center hits 130F (or whatever you prefer), then remove the meat, crank the heat up and sear hot and fast, flipping every 15 seconds or so. I've found frequent flipping really helps prevent fat-induced flareups.  Also go easy on the added oil... you don't want it dripping into the coals either since that just exacerbates the issue. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I don't ave much lamb experience, but the butterflied leg of lamb I cooked using this recipe was outstanding. I marinated for an hour, set up the egg for direct at 400° with the grid on the fire ring. It didn't take as long as the recipe says to get to 125°. Don't see why it wouldn't work with chops.

Still, it was a direct cook over lump charcoal. I also used olive oil and lemon (plus other stuff), but no 
    oregano. Can't imagine oregano would be the problem. Don't know about your acrid smoke issue, but I did not burn any tires for my cook. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    its the fat. try cooking the center cut chops, and making kabobs from the leg, all fat removed.  i like a 450 sear wth some charring and a red interior.  used rosemary for the skewers here, didnt hurt ;)

Image result for lamb fishlessman

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fukahwee maine

• GrillSgt
    LMAO, the man wants to make lamb chops.
  • fishlessman
    GrillSgt said:
    LMAO, the man wants to make lamb chops.
    are you saying a center cut lamb chop is not a lamb chop =) im just pointing out that lamb fat is nasty
    fukahwee maine

• GrillSgt
    Ground lamb isn't.
  • fishlessman
    GrillSgt said:
    Ground lamb isn't.
    it can be =)   only posted it because its an incredible recipe
    fukahwee maine

• GrillSgt
    They look delicious. I just ordered my fall lamb and then split another one with a friend for ground lamb only. 
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    You may want to try lamb lollipops. 

Start with a 2 pound rack.

Cut off the thick fat cap and trim the fat from the end of the bones all the way to the meat.

Slice rack into chops.

Flatten each chop by pressing hard with the palm of you hand. 

Marinate for 4-6 hours in the following recipe:

One cup soy sauce.
                 One cup balsamic vinegar.
                 One cup olive oil.
                 1/2 cup honey
                 2 finely chopped clove of garlic
                 Blend until silky and garlic has been liquified.

Cook direct at 450 degrees. For 2-3 minutes per side.

You will have flare-ups but no awful odor.

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • GrillSgt
    The obvious answer is that a Weber kettle does an easier and quicker cook with the same amount of flavor. All coals pushed to one side, start lamb on indirect side, cover on. Every time you turn them make them one chop closer to the coals. When you get to the coals place them in the center of the bed, leave cover off and flip regularly to the char you want. 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    i will admit to liking my lambchops (left whole) better on my kettle than my egg... 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    I like to sear the outside in an iron skillet and then go low temp in the egg. Comes out great every time.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• BGEChicago
    BGEChicago Posts: 574
    Wow, this is great advice! Thanks to everyone who advised, I'll have to try all of these methods, it will be tough as we love lamb :bawling:
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Hi Guys,

I have had my XL BGE and mini for years and cooked everything from smoked salmon to pizza so I feel fairly confident in my abilities. I see all these posts about lamb on the BGE and how great it is.....  I have tried twice with Lamb chops from Costco and other places / butchers and when the fat hits the lump charcoal it creates a special kind of acrid smoke akin to burning tires! Here is the facts:
    - No Rub
    -marinade = Good olive oil, lemon juice and Greek oregano
    -lump is SLC and burned off the VOC
    -Grilled at (dome temp 375F) 

Keep in mind, we eat Lamb at least once or twice a week, my wife is from Greece and she knows her Lamb, I have even went to Greek butchers in Chicago and have the same issues.... I have to be overlooking something. Can you advise?

Thanks!

Love searing lamb chops hi heat direct. Either the lollipops or the mini t bone steaks
    But what ive learned boug flareup prevention is this...

Use CI grate indirect.  Coat the stone seperator with mortons ice cream rock salt   not for human consumption but flareups will be nonexistent. Preheat bge to 650F with CI grid 

If you still have issues go lighter on olive oil, close lid when cooking and you should be ok

Fyi headed to Greece in October    really looking forward to it . Athens, Crete and Santorini