Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first Beef Baby Back Ribs

Theophan
Theophan Posts: 2,654
I've cooked beef short ribs before, but inside, braising them.  I don't think I've smoked any kind of beef ribs before, but all of the pictures I've seen here have looked wonderful.  So I grabbed some beef baby back ribs and smoked them today (hickory).  I was astonished at how quickly they were done.  I didn't time it exactly, but I really think it was only about 3-4 hours.  I smoked them for 2h at 250°-260°, then decided I'd better crank the heat up if I wanted to eat by 6:30 or so, so I raised the temp to 350°-360°, and when I went to poke them around 5:30, the probe went in with no resistance at all, and they bent very easily, so I took them off and ate early.  REALLY good!  Just delicious!  Definitely will do this again.  I put Dizzy Pig Cow Lick on half the rack, and Montreal on the other half, and they were both delicious, but the Cow Lick was the best.

Comments

• RalphieBoy
    RalphieBoy Posts: 131
    Looks really Good
    Large, Small, Mini Max & Mini.
    Wishlist XXL, XL & Medium 
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    they have been my favorite lately as well

Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Looks great. I was hungry before looking and starving now!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    They look fine. The meat on them is what is left after cutting rib-eye steaks away, so it is quite tender, and easy to cook. Depending on how aggressive the butcher was, sometimes there is very little meat left.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    The beef back ribs beat their pork cousins every time as you just found out.  Great cook right there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Thanks to all for the kind comments!  :)

gdenby said:
    ... Depending on how aggressive the butcher was, sometimes there is very little meat left.
    Yeah -- when I picked the rack up in the store to look at it, I was wondering if there was even enough meat left on the bones to be worth eating!  I'd never cooked them before, but gave it a shot, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much meat there was after all, and at how tasty it was.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    It is hard to find back ribs with a lot of meat. This is why I like to cook either Plate Ribs or Chuck Short Ribs. If you get them, try to get the full slab instead of letting the meat cutter cut them into little ribs.  They cook similarly to the back ribs but usually take a little longer since they have more meat. 

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I like that bark!

And +1 to what @Shiff said.  You may have to ask for them at the meat counter, as most stores don't put them out with the rest of the meats.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    when you see a rack with meat on it grab it, even if you have to freeze it.   beef ribs must be a huge after thought in my area,  they cut them individually mostly here and im finding them in the soup bone section of all places with good meat on them
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 355
    Looks great, I’ve been looking for them in my area but have not been able to find them.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @PoppasGrill - depending on where you live they can definitely be a challenge in the summer months.  Try a local butcher as that's my source and they are much more available in the run-up to Christmas.  Seems many want a boneless rib roast.  But I can order them by Tuesday of the desired week and get them by Thursday PM for a weekend food fest.  
    FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    If you have a hard time locating beef ribs, see if you have a Restaurant Depot near you. They always have them.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA