Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calling on rib experts...FTC???

Options
Next week i’ll be cooking up some ribs for the office and expect to have a 2-3 hour gap between pulling off the egg and cooking. Any ideas?  I was thinking of just doing FTC like I do with the pork butt. Would appreciate any feedback....thanks!

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Should be fine; if you have multiple racks I'd try to stack them within foil package(s) to maintain some thermal mass.  
    I FR'd (foiled/refrigerated) 2/3rds of the St. Louis' I smoked on the 4th; just heated half of them up over my double boiler for 20 minutes (still in the foil) for lunch today; last 1/3rd to be heated tomorrow (then I'm done with ribs for awhile...)

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    FTC can hold anything for over 8 hours. I assume you meant 3 hours between when they finish and when you are serving? If so, that’s a perfect amount of time for them to rest in the cooler. 
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    I just did a cook yesterday and FTC individually didn't even think of stacking them and they held in a preheated cooler for 2.5 for me no prob
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    Yes I meant to say 2-3 hours between cooking an eating. 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    edited July 2018
    Options
    What @Botch said has worked for me many a time
    Baby back pork ribs is the only type i did this with but i wouldnt hesitate to do beef ribs or st louis spares

Stacking a few racks together per foil pack works just fine.  I usually sauce them up again and pour some pan drippings in each foil pack.  The steam from the beer vinegar mixed with the rendered fat that dripped off the meat makes a sublime coating

One other thing wrapping them has done for me is that the color deepens to a rich maroon burgundy and the meat sweats a little bit giving it a nice sheen with that gorgeous color transformation.  All discovered by accident by the way....
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Yes FTC will keep them perfect so you can cut them and serve fresh!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf