Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Which shelves to buy?

Thinking I should finally buy some shelves. Any recommendations between the mahogany and composite ones? The former is more expensive but look nicer. 

One day - maybe in 4 or so years, I plan to remodel my kitchen and garden so will probably get the BGE built into an outdoor kitchen but would be damn handy to have shelves in the meantime. 

Comments

• DobieDobie Posts: 2,589
    Long term the composite last, but sounds like you don’t need longevity. 
    Not playing well with others in Jacksonville FL
  • TheToastTheToast Posts: 281
    So the composite last longer but are cheaper? Is it because they're less attractive?

Why don't the wood ones last? Thanks 
  • DobieDobie Posts: 2,589
    Probably cheaper to produce, like mine. My wood handles already needing replaced but the eggmates good to go. 
    Not playing well with others in Jacksonville FL
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 11,127
    The composite ones can be larger (3 slat) and virtually maintanance free. Obviously the real wood ones are a richer look but will require some care to keep looking like new. Sounds like you know the difference. Are you wanting us to vote for your choice? 
  • chuckytheeggheadchuckytheegghead Posts: 1,201
    Get the wood if you like the looks of those more. I have the wood shelves and they do me just fine. Also, you can sand them down and re-stain later if needed. 
  • EoinEoin Posts: 2,027
    Mine are composite on the XL. They look nice and plenty of space with 3 slats. They get dirty and greasy from cooking, the composite wipes off really easily on the rare occasion I decide to do some cleaning. 
  • blastingblasting Posts: 5,953

Have you considered a stainless table?  Just tossing it out there.

Phoenix 
    Really useful everyone. Sounds like I should go composite. Is it heat resistant or does it melt?
    Not melted yet, but I guess they would if something really hot was put on there.
    Bargain.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 28,207
    I like you UK fellows.   

• RRPRRP Posts: 22,471
    I like you UK fellows.   
    You still up? Or up early?

At least I have an excuse - I'm battling a bad case of poison ivy on my legs, butt and arms! I've got more places to scratch than I have time!
    L, M, S, &  Mini
    And oh yes...also a 17" BlackStone gas fired griddle! 
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    Re- gasketing AMERICA one yard at a time!
  • StormbringerStormbringer Posts: 1,394
    @TheToast nice one, pray tell which garden centre was this?
    Large BGE and MMX, both with platesetter and cast iron grid. Superpeel for pizza, iDevice for temperature.
    Cooking on the large in deepest, darkest England since Oct 2015. MMX added to the family Mar 2016.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff http://www.thecooksdigest.com

• CPFC1905CPFC1905 Posts: 368
    TheToast said:

Cooked for the inlaws tonight and stuck em both on. 

You cooked your in-laws??????
     "Shohna ba Shohna"
    Op Herrick / Enduring Freedom  2011 - 14.
  • chuckytheeggheadchuckytheegghead Posts: 1,201
    Nice find on the shelves. Sometimes things just have a way of working themselves out. 
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 28,207
    RRP said:
    I like you UK fellows.   
    You still up? Or up early?

At least I have an excuse - I'm battling a bad case of poison ivy on my legs, butt and arms! I've got more places to scratch than I have time!
    Was still up.  Fighting contact dermatitis, feel your pain.

Sunshine Garden Centre in Bounds Green https://www.sunshinegardencentre.co.uk/
  • HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 5,493

LOL

Camped out in the (757/804)
  • StormbringerStormbringer Posts: 1,394
    TheToast said:
    Sunshine Garden Centre in Bounds Green https://www.sunshinegardencentre.co.uk/
    Cheers!
    Large BGE and MMX, both with platesetter and cast iron grid. Superpeel for pizza, iDevice for temperature.
    Cooking on the large in deepest, darkest England since Oct 2015. MMX added to the family Mar 2016.
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff http://www.thecooksdigest.com