Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Metal Roofing:OT

Options
Anybody have any experience with this? My asphalt shingle roof needs replacing including the plywood decking. It is in a hurricane zone so the metal roofing would have to be done right by a professional. Our local building inspector is cracking the whip on installation. He says that within 2 months they would require 26 gauge and wouldn't approve 29 gauge, that eliminates most local roofers from what I've seen. Google is no help, I keep getting referred to answering services who want to sell my information to metal roofing contractors with out telling me anything about them in advance. This will be expensive and I hope to fund it by withdrawing money from a 453C account.

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Put McElroy Metal 26 gauge mill finished galvalume Meredian standing seam roof on our house in 2002. Original company no longer installs roofing, it provides the metal to contractors. One thing I will tell you, make sure you get the right underlayment and of course, roofing contractor. Insurance agent should be able to tell you what you need for underlayment. We paid 2 1/2 times the going rate of a shingle roof for the metal roof at that time but well worth it. It has only been in the last two years that other metal roofs have been installed in our neighborhood - 2 this year. Good luck and PM me if you would like the information on the company. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,658
    Options
    I have installed several, the only advice I can offer is call the people that sell the roof panels and have them recommend a installer.  
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I had a metal roof installed last Summer by Midwest Roofing.

No building inspector to deal with, so that was nice.

Couldn't be more pleased with them, and the roof.  They, Midwest Roofing, manufacture their own Valspar coated panels and accessories in WI.

Hoping it's the first, and last, roof I buy.  
    It will then be my son's problem. Lol

Not sure on my gauge, but many metal roofs in this area have stood the severely weathered test of time vs asphalt. 

I didn't even consider asphalt.  I did get a couple of quotes for good measure.

You're lucky to get 20 years out of a premium shingle here in IL.  It is much easier to install vs steel though, at least that's what the crew leader/owner's son said when I asked.

For that reason, you definitely want someone who specializes in residential/commercial steel installation.

I'm sure there are crews chomping at the bit to get in the steel game.  Don't get burned trying to save a few bucks.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Two neighbors got metal roofing but this is snow country, so a totally different set of considerations.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Metal roof here, but was on the house when I bought it. They're common here in rural AL & Southern TN. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    It is easy to confuse rib metal roof and standing seam if you do not know the difference. Most residential roofs are rib metal and screwed on. Standing seams are way more expensive and mostly assembled without visible screws.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,303
    Options
    Focker said:
    I had a metal roof installed last Summer by Midwest Roofing.

No building inspector to deal with, so that was nice.

Couldn't be more pleased with them, and the roof.  They, Midwest Roofing, manufacture their own Valspar coated panels and accessories in WI.

Hoping it's the first, and last, roof I buy.  
    It will then be my son's problem. Lol

Not sure on my gauge, but many metal roofs in this area have stood the severely weathered test of time vs asphalt. 

I didn't even consider asphalt.  I did get a couple of quotes for good measure.

You're lucky to get 20 years out of a premium shingle here in IL.  It is much easier to install vs steel though, at least that's what the crew leader/owner's son said when I asked.

For that reason, you definitely want someone who specializes in residential/commercial steel installation.

I'm sure there are crews chomping at the bit to get in the steel game.  Don't get burned trying to save a few bucks.  

One thing that I didn’t mention is that I supervised the installation of standing seam metal roofs on at least 6 projects. Those were commercial projects though instead of residential.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I have a metal roof.....it looks just like a cross between architectural and shake shingles.  The stamped panels are about 4 feet long and two feet high and overlap each other.  They just went over my existing roof.  Supposed to last 50 yrs and it was only an extra 3-4 grand to do the metal over the asphalt.  I was only out of pocket about $6000 for it.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Like @SamIAm2

I have a roof that was just installed using McElroy steel.  Do not get the stuff from big box stores. I can't remember the gauge, they have several profiles to pic from.  I do know that when we ordered ours, they just ran the next thicker gauge, because that was already set up in production.  Get a few contractors to quote and ask for references, or at least houses you can drive by and look at the roof.  If you are fussy about looks, make sure you go with something that has more shape to it (more striations).  Look up oil canning on metal roofs to avoid visual appearance problems.  

You probably wont need snow bars.  :-)

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Not sure if you’re talking about installing it over the existing roof or not, but if you do go that route, it might not be a bad idea to get with a structural engineer (especially if you already have one that’s a friend) to make sure your walls can support the extra weight. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Not sure if you’re talking about installing it over the existing roof or not, but if you do go that route, it might not be a bad idea to get with a structural engineer (especially if you already have one that’s a friend) to make sure your walls can support the extra weight. 
    The existing roof took carpenter ant damage, the shingles are bad, the plywood is to thin and old. I plan to reduce it with thicker plywood.
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    edited June 2018
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Like @SamIAm2

I have a roof that was just installed using McElroy steel.  Do not get the stuff from big box stores. I can't remember the gauge, they have several profiles to pic from.  I do know that when we ordered ours, they just ran the next thicker gauge, because that was already set up in production.  Get a few contractors to quote and ask for references, or at least houses you can drive by and look at the roof.  If you are fussy about looks, make sure you go with something that has more shape to it (more striations).  Look up oil canning on metal roofs to avoid visual appearance problems.  

You probably wont need snow bars.  :-)

Not to hijack, but @kl8ton, are those windows black or the bronze ones? Were they that color when you bought them or are they painted? Where’d you get them?
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • kl8ton
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    Not to hijack, but @kl8ton, are those windows black or the bronze ones? Were they that color when you bought them or are they painted? Where’d you get them?
    Black on the exterior.  They are Ply Gem brand.  Ply Gem Painted exterior black.  Not sure if the builder got them direct or through a distributor.  I just picked the color and the grids.  Black exterior added $160 to each window, I do know that!  I wanted to just have a painter paint them after they were installed, but the grids are inside the glass.

https://www.plygem.com/wps/portal/home
    Grand Rapids MI
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Thanks to Matthew I got a new one on the coast. On the Tennessee house there is also a ribbed roof. Only problem after fifteen years is poor flashing on installation before I bought the house. I used it on an outbuilding in Tennessee. All three are green. My metal shop building on the coast also has a new Galvalume thanks to Matthew. The old one was rusted badly and a limb through the top did not help either. I installed it. I have owned other buildings with very old metal with no leaks. They seemed to have less damage during hurricanes than shingles. Cost was more than shingles, but only about 25% I think.

Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    BikerBob said:
    Thanks to Matthew I got a new one on the coast. On the Tennessee house there is also a ribbed roof. Only problem after fifteen years is poor flashing on installation before I bought the house. I used it on an outbuilding in Tennessee. All three are green. My metal shop building on the coast also has a new Galvalume thanks to Matthew. The old one was rusted badly and a limb through the top did not help either. I installed it. I have owned other buildings with very old metal with no leaks. They seemed to have less damage during hurricanes than shingles. Cost was more than shingles, but only about 25% I think.

Bob
    One of my job duties involved taking FEMA and FHWA around to evaluate damage after hurricanes Elena and Katrina. I noticed that metal roofs had either no damage or major damage. One of the reasons that I want to put one one.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:

Asphalt shingles are waaaay heavier that a steel roof 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:

Asphalt shingles are waaaay heavier that a steel roof 
    Which is one of the reasons that the existing worn out asphalt shingles will be coming off. I will be putting a thicker plywood deck up which will eat away at the weight savings. Most of the time people who are really concerned about the weight on a roof are concerned about "snow" whatever that is. Around here we are more concerned with will the wind suck the roof off of the house?
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Since you are in hurricane country, you may want to add some hurricane straps before you put on the new plywood.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Something that I plan to examine when the roof is removed.
  • SamIAm2
    Options
    Also, if you have them in you roof system - strengthen the gable end trusses before you put the plywood on. 

Had to do this for 3 gables for insurance coverage after Andrew. Lots of fun getting 2 x 4 lumber in attic access holes in the early summer. Turned out we didn't have plywood sheathing on the roof but 2 x 6 tongue and groove boards. 

Link https://doi.sc.gov/DocumentCenter/View/2547/Section-E-Gable-End-Bracing
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Well I signed the contract for this yesterday. They will be removing the roof decking on the house and detached garage, installing 5/8 CDX plywood, installing all new flashing and ridge vents, replacing any damaged wood, covering it with peel and stick underlayment, and 26 gauge Artic White Snap Lock standing seam metal(no exposed screws to corrode and leak) . They will start a week from Monday just in time to adjust my yearly house insurance. They will be installing it according to Florida Dade County code which is a bit better than local code.
  • SamIAm2
    Options
    Good deal. Make sure you get good photographs of the underlayment package and on the roof for insurance. Our insurance company wanted proof there was underlayment for some reason. Best thing is a well installed system will end leak worries for many years.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Well they are all up on the roof ripping off old decking and installing new now. They also have a side gig of hauling off my old broken weed trimmers, lawn mowers etc . They make a little side cash and I don’t have to go to the dump . I showed them the Egg and explained Crime and Punishment for Humpty Dumpty offenses.
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    @Gulfcoastguy I love the last sentence.
  • kl8ton
    Options
    pics?
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    pics?
    After they get to the front of the house I will. Likely tomorrow. Right now I am trying to stay out of their way. They caught a little side eye from the boss from talking to me and getting free broke power tools rather than working. They are good kids doing a good job so far.
  • SamIAm2
    Options
    @Gulfcoastguy - how is the roof job going today??
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Rain out today. They left my roof covered with a blue tarp and it kept the rain out. On a side note one of the roofers stepped into my laundry room...through the ceiling. He told me first that they were going to have their ceiling people fix it. Then he said “don’t you want to hit me” I said “why would I , you already said that you would fix it, s&@$ happens “. They’re good kids. The youngest one must do parkour, he slides down a sheet of plywood leaning against the wall and runs back up it.
  • SamIAm2
    Options
    Dang, sorry to hear that. Was it a popcorn ceiling you wanted to get rid of anyway? Hope you get the roof and ceiling finished today.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.