Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Burgers

Down 16 lbs. and counting.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Would like to see your burger recipe, Doc.  I've tried a couple before and would rather eat salad (and I need to lose 16 lb.... x 3!)  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I’m with Botch on this.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    Looks good, Doc. We are big turkey burger fans here.
    Botch and Mattman, I don't have specific measurements because my wife mixes these up, but this works well for us.

Finely shred some red onion and garlic and mix into ground turkey with bread crumbs and an egg. Add some salt and pepper and you're good to go. We melt some pepper cheese on top. Lettuce and/or tomato to taste. We love em.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I usually finely chop some onion and mushroom and cook those down in a pan until they're kind of a paste.  you can add whatever to that mix as long as it's finely chopped - sometimes do sweet peppers, or carrots, jalapenos, etc., but the goal is to cook it down well - basically caramelized mushroom + onion paste.  Mix that in with the ground turkey and you'll get much more flavor and moisture.
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    onion + mushroom prepared like above + bulgur makes a really good turkey burger

Something about sauteed bulgur gives everything a slightly nutty, more interesting flavor.  

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/bulgur-veggie-burgers-with-lime-mayonnaise-242594

bulgur + leeks + mushrooms makes an awesome side dish to steak.
  • Actually, the frozen H‑E‑B Fully Cooked Turkey Burgers are not too shabby, and fit perfectly in a low carb diet plan.
    Gittin' there...
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,007
    edited July 2018
    @Botch I’ve made some decent turkey burgers, adding chorizo and Mad Max seasoning. Recipe below: 

https://thecooksdigest.co.uk/2018/05/25/mad-max-turkey-burgers/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    No pictures, but I fried them inside anyway, but I made turkey burgers following @Legume's instructions above (onion and mushroom), and also mixing a Fuddrucker's Burger Seasoning Clone (from "Top Secret Restaurant Recipes " by Todd Wilbur) posted by @Richard Fl into the mushroom mix, and sprinkling it on the burgers.

Wow!  I was amazed, just amazed!  They were not the least bit dry, but tender and juicy, even though I cooked them to 165° (I was planning 160, but they were done sooner than I'd expected)!  I think @Legume's caramelized onion/mushroom pasted worked some real magic in the turkey.  My wife LOVED them, and she hates mushrooms (I didn't tell her...).  We'll be making these again and again!

Thanks, @Legume and @Richard Fl!
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Just say no to the turkey burger.  My weight gain/loss is directly proportional to my carb intake so the "meat" really isn't the issue (YMMV). 

After recently having a bad time with kidney stones and some complications from that, I am down 15lbs in < 30 days. Made my Dr happy about that. I do NOT recommend this as a weight loss program. 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    onedbguru said:
    ... My weight gain/loss is directly proportional to my carb intake... recently having a bad time with kidney stones and some complications from that, ...
    I have calcium oxalate kidney stones, and I tried low-carb once, and had more stones, and my urologist said low carb is one of the worst things you can do if you have this kind of kidney stones!  I'll never do low carb again.  Too bad, because I did lose some weight, and it was great being able to eat a lot of meat and not worry about the fat too much.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Kudos on the weight loss. Burgers looks pretty good too. Congrats. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC.