Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First full weekend of Egg cooks

Options
After doing my first cook of ribs two weeks ago I was out of town the next weekend and decided once I got back I wanted to cook all weekend long on the egg to try out different things.

I had read about spatchcock chicken being the best chicken so that would be one, wanted to do another low and slow so some pulled pork would be two, and then some burgers to finish the weekend off.

Started off Friday making a rub that does a lot of smoking suggested and I have had several times at cooks at his house before. I made 3.5 cups of it so I had enough for this weekend and probably my next two cooks as well.

My sister bought me these one year as a gift and they have been in my kitchen cabinets since then never being used. Finally found a use for them. Storing my rubs.

Since everyone on hear raves about spatchcock chicken is the best way to make a whole chicken and that once you make it that way you will never do it any other way I had to give it a shot. So picked up an almost 6lb chicken and cut out the spine and then covered it in plenty of rub. 

Thought this picture looked cool since you could see the smoke

​​​​​​​Temp probe in and we are ready to go
​​​​​​​

About 40min in I opened up the egg to throw on some ears of corn that had been soaked in water with the husks on. Helps to steam the corn while it cooks.
​​​​​​​

Spatchcock chicken complete. Breast meat temp done to 160 and thigh to 180. Total time took about 1hr 20min at 400 degrees. Wasn't really cooking for time but rather the inside temp.
​​​​​​​

Corn done
​​​​​​​

Really was some of the best chicken I have ever had. Will definitely be doing this again. Nice and juicy with a pretty crispy skin as well. Only thing I would change is using less rub next time and a little more smoke wood. I don't think that chicken needs as much rub as ribbs or pulled pork does.

​​​​​​​

So once I enjoyed my chicken my work for the night was not done. I had to get my boston butt trimmed up and rubbed up so I could get it started. The smallest they had at the butcher was 10.76lbs so it was going to take all night to cook it low and slow like I wanted to. So I knew it was going to take 18-20hrs to cook. 
​​​​​​​

Not a huge fat cap but still wanted to trim it down a little bit more
​​​​​​​

So trimmed off maybe .5-.75lb or fat. Also put cross cut marks in the remaining thin areas of fat to allow the rub to pentrate it a bit.
​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​All rubbed up. Put it in the fridge for an hour or so while I got the egg going and let the temperature stablize.
​​​​​​​

Put a little more fresh rub on it right before I put it on.
​​​​​​​

Off we go...cook start time 12:15am.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

While waiting of course I had to enjoy some great beer.

I would later wish I had started the cook earlier in the day so I could have let it cook for 20-24hrs rather than eventually having to turn the heat up a bit. The egg held a grate temp of about 210 degrees and thus a lid temp of around 225/230 all night long. Really loving the the FlameBoss300 for controlling and monitoring my cooks so you don't really have to mess with it. When I got up in the morning next day which was 8.5hrs into the cook I realized that the temp was stuck at about 155degrees internal temp with the stall and also that if I was giong to get it finished in time for dinner I would have to increase my temps just a bit. So I increased the grid temp by 20 degrees to 230 and thus a dome temp of around 250. And then again to 235 when the dome temp started to drop again to keep the dome temp at 250. This helped me get the butt done by 5:40pm for a total cook time of about 17.5hrs. Next time I really want to let it cook slow at my original start temp of 210 with a dome temp of 230 so I will start it earlier in the day. 

Just before the butt was ready to come off I preparred the side dish for the pulled pork. These poppers were filled with cream cheese and cheddar mixture seasoned with pepper and garlic powder. I then sprinkled a little of the same rub I used on the chicken and but on the bacon right before they went on the egg. They would cook at 325 degrees for just under an hour.
​​​​​​​

As much as I wanted to check on it throughout the day I kept myself from ever opening the egg the whole time. This was my first look at it.

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

It came straight off the egg to be wrapped in two layers of heavy duty foil and allowed to sit for 1hr 15min which was all that I could stand to wait. I put it in warm towels and then into a cooler to set.
​​​​​​​

Time to cook the poppers while the butt sits.
​​​​​​​

Another wonderful beer while the poppers cook
​​​​​​​

Checking in on the poppers after about 40min. They probably could have come off at this point but wanted the bacon a little crispier.
​​​​​​​

So while I was waiting for them to finish I decided I should get the butt shredded. The bone pulled out like a hot knife through butter.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Beer claws made easy work of the butt
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Poppers all finished
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Time to eat!!!
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

When I told one of my friends I was making pulled pork he told me there was a dish I needed to try the next day. He insisted I needed to make scrambled eggs with pulled pork and bbq sauce. It sounded a little odd at first but damn was it good. Nothing like having pulled pork with a side of more pork cause I can't have breakfast without bacon. Next time I make it I want to add in breakfast potatoes and some onions too. 
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Used the egg as a grill Sunday night for the first time. Also my first time grilling using charcoal too. I hate how much longer it takes to get going but damn if these were not the best tasting burgers I have ever made. Got the temp set to 400 degrees and was able to cook the burgers in 12min only turning them once. It unfortunately ended up being a little long for my asparagus though.

Comments

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    You certainly were eating good for the weekend, looks like your hooked.  Nice Job
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Way to make the most use of the your BGE time.  Great cooks and pics.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Options
    Food looks good!  Nice job writing this up and documenting the process with pictures.  
    XL  Central Ohio
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Man they all look great.  i think you're going to make a few new friends if you keep up that pace!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95