Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LBGE Repair

Options
While stripping off the old gasket for a new Rutland, I found a damaged area that’s 1/4” deep x 2” long. Looking for best fix ideas. The ring is full height on the outside where the band engages it.

LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
Charleston, SC

Comments

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Hard to tell where the damage is from your picture. What part is damaged? The egg and it’s ceramic internals are covered under warranty. 
  • BigreenGreg
    BigreenGreg Posts: 581
    Options
    Zoom in where the hinge is, the inner lip is gone. I’ve had this for six years, is it a lifetime warranty?
    Charleston, SC
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yes, I would certainly consider this a legitimate warranty claim.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • kaybee
    kaybee Posts: 120
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I would get it replaced under warranty if you can as a first step.

If you find yourself stuck, you can likely fill that area with a layer or two of PermaTex to get it even with the ceramic (hard to tell how deep it is so it may take two layers). Let the PermaTex fully cure between applications. 

Once you are level, just proceed with your Rutland install with the PermaTex as usual.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I'm just curious - had you not noticed that missing section? I wonder how the gasket had remained spanning that gap. I would have thought the OE gasket would have burnt up exposing the missing piece. I'm also surprised that area in the photo is as clean as the top which would mean it hasn't been exposed to creosote. Are you sure that piece didn't just now fall off? It would be worth the time to kook for it as you could actually "glue" it back in using the Permatex Ultra Copper. Just the same a warranty claim is still in order!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BigreenGreg
    Options
    Warranty claim came through in 2-1/2 weeks. missed July 4th but good service from Rep.
    Charleston, SC