Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New used Eggs for sale near me. Which one should I get?

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
So I’m looking out the car window at grills as we pass by Lowe’s and Mrs. 500 says what are you looking at?  I said the grills. Why?  Well, I’d like to get another one. Why? Cause I could cook more of the dinner outside instead of you cooking it all inside. She doesn’t automatically say that’s stupid. So I’m looking on Craigslist and just so happen to find two brand new never used ones; one that looks like a Medium, and a Minimax. The Medium comes with side tables for $650 and the Minimax is $600. Which is the Best Buy?  Also wondering about the warranty since technically they are new so maybe it would transfer?
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    No help as to which is better deal, but as long as the owner hasn't register it and has the receipt you are good to go for the warranty. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I’m goin with it’s a mini and a small and both are close or over retail 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Isn’t the Minimax less than that normally?  Seems like the medium with tables is a better deal unless I am missing something. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Look around more.  Those aren't good prices for used eggs.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Given you have the green light with a bit of liberal interpretation, I would shop for a close upcoming eggfest or a dealer deal for the warranty.  Peace of mind and one major ceramic piece replacement and any savings are recouped with the warranty.  But just an opinion and we all know what those are worth-
    Besides, easy for me to help you spend your $$.   
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Get the medium. Just a new one instead of that one. Or keep looking. I have the MiniMax and the medium and the medium is far more useful. 
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Love my medium (used $200!)
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Options
    Say I offered $400 for the medium.  Is that a fair price?  He said in the ad he won it doesn't want it so maybe that's a decent price?
    Member since 2009
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Yes it’s decent. And it could have the warranty card in it if his story is accurate. Although new eggs are registered online using a stamped number on the dome. 
  • jwc6160
    jwc6160 Posts: 218
    Options
    Sounds similar to my situation. I saw a new in box small on CL and I pulled the trigger. Guy said he was in sales and this was the 2nd egg he had won. I registered it on the site and also emailed them asking about warranty since it was from a sales contest. They responded back that I was good. Hopefully I never have to worry about it, but at least I have an email saying I’m covered. 
    Options
    I got it wrong. It’s a Small and a MiniMax. So I guess the Small is the better deal. But what price is a fair offer?
    Member since 2009
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    500 said:
    I got it wrong. It’s a Small and a MiniMax. So I guess the Small is the better deal. But what price is a fair offer?
    I sold my brand new small for $400
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited June 2018
    Options
    500 said:l

I'd suggest taking a step back and figure out what size you really want before offering anything.  

I bought a small as a second egg (because it was a deal).  Lots of guys love their smalls - I did not.  Medium turned out to be my happy size for a second egg.  

Phoenix 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Same grill size.  A minimax is just a short small.  If you're not going to be travelling with it nor want to keep it on a table then don't go minimax over small.  

Btw, both are overpriced for being on craigslist.  $600 is new MSRP on the mm, and that small is close to retail.  Wait it out.  You'll find a large for the same price eventually.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I paid $600 for my Minimax. New. That’s crazy talk. 

Those veggie burgers are causing some cognitive impairment, bud!  ;)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Options
    I'd love to take the MiniMax to the race tailgate, but in reality it would still be a PITA to do, so I likely won't get the MiniMax.  SO, I guess I'd like another Larger really, so that I can mix and match all the accessories I currently have and not have to start over there.  That makes more sense.  I should just go price a new Large from Gusti's and just see what it will cost.  Can't really do much right now with this broken foot I'm dealing with, so it's bench Egging from now until September when the cast comes off.  
    Member since 2009