Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire Rings - Half vs Standard or both?

Options
I have a large BGE that i've had for about 5 years.  I have the standard fire ring, but also have a half ring (half the height).  When would I properly use one over the other, and would i use both?  I've been cooking for 5 years with both, but i don't know why...  I just set it up that way and started cooking...  Now I'm wondering why/how I ended up with it in this configuration.  Now it has me thinking about what to use when...  Thanks. 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    welcome aboard. That half height fire ring is not common. I don't recall exactly why BGE offered them, but I think it had to do with solving some issue. The only time I have ever used mine was to lower (increase the capacity by lowering) a big 26 pound turkey. I keep mine in my basement as I just don't use it!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i believe the shorter fire ring was used with the bge three tier cooking rack
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Yes! You are correct! I recall my dealer sold it to me for $5 just to get if off his shelf!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Another endorsement for @fishlessman's insight.  And I was gifted the BGE three tier rig shortly after acquiring my LBGE.  Definitely a non-functional design/use piece of gear.  With the half you can lower the placement of the grid to get more clearance for a large hunk of protein-I have removed the entire ring to get a 23 lb turkey to fit, FWIW- 
    Just continue to recognize that all it does is move the protein closer to the fire and further from the dome.  Beyond that have fun with the options.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Can you stack them to cook raised direct? 
  • gteb
    gteb Posts: 15
    Options
    I use mine for searing mainly after sous vide