Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Table Top Material?

I just rounded out our BGE family yesterday with a new Medium.  The Medium and XL stay home while the Mini Max goes to our marina on Lake Michigan during the boating season.

My table has gone through a few different versions.  I originally built it with a cedar plank table top, but I wasn't satisfied with it.  The wood top was replaced by marine-grade plywood with tile.  That worked for 2 or 3 years, but now I have multiple tiles that have come off.  Time to change up the table top again.  (And re-stain the rest of the table.)

I have talked with a guy who says he can get me granite for $300.  Is granite a good material for a BGE table?  Will it get ridiculously hot in the summer sun?

What's everyone's recommendation?

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Granite or stainless 
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    my last outdoor kitchen was granite and it did get hot in the sun but not burning just warm, I went with SS this time around even though I know it will get hot in the sun but I just like the ease of cleaning anything that spills on it and where big into mojitos at my house and limes destroys granite after a while (that is if you spill lime juice and don't clean it up right away and don't seal your granite regularly). with that said that is the only down side I know of with granite besides weight and cost

Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You can get granite remnants at a huge discount, easier the smaller the top is.  SS is most maintenance free. Copper needs maintenance but looks cool as hell.  Concrete is expensive/work, needs maintenance but gives you a one-of-a-kind unique look.

All these tops will last forever.

Alternatively, you can make a monolithic wood top and seal it in epoxy, then marine spar paint and it should last longer than you, provided you take care of it, which includes a spar-urethane re-paint every 5 years or so, depending on sun.
    I used a couple of the Quartz remnants for inserts on my table. It's the marble looking white/grey. Couple of years old and I can't believe how much it has yellowed. 
    Popped them into the dishwasher thinking it would clean up. Nope, not at all. 
    Might be able to polish it out but not worth the effort to me.