Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flatiron caveman style

Options
JohnEggGio
JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
edited June 2018 in EggHead Forum
Inspired by @lousubcap, I wanted to do a steak caveman style.  I chose a 1.33 pound flatiron steak.  Some parts are very tender, some are tough - I did my own jaccard with a pair of forks.  Otherwise, salt and pepper were the only prep.

The harder part was the grill.  Started with a clean bowl, fresh bag of Rockwood.  I found though that the lack of uniformity if size in lumps was an issue.  Smaller pieces were rocket hot, larger pieces were just getting fired and only on one side.

Took me a while, sorting and flipping lumps before I felt I was ready to put the steaks on. I moved larger lumps out of the way.

I love flatiron but some parts are thicker and denser - hard to judge.

Fire with then without flash.

Steaks on!

Flipped

On the plate.

Carved - a bit rare but no complaints.  Flavorful outter crust.

The hard parts were lump management and cooking time.  Will do again.

Served it up with a bold burgundy.
Maryland, 1 LBGE

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Looks good, bold burgundy and all... I'm not sure I buy the method though. Seems like you'd just smother the heat with the steak.  I remember watching AB do this years ago with skirt steak and remember shaking my head then. Maybe I'll try it one of these days to see for myself. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Having finished a monstrous martini, which was preceded by a litany of Coke Zero and Evans, I feel qualified to comment.  (meeting forum standards is serious bidness).

The 'Caveman" (more than one steak is "Cavemen") style is more a novelty where you can simultaneously freak-out and astound your friends who hopefully have never heard of the method before. 

You can assure them that "No, the ash just brushes off and there is no sand!".  And they try it, and, despite the slight bitter taste from the 3rd degree burns on the steak, it's friggin good!  (I'm sofa king drunk, they realize later!). 

Your impressed buddies will talk about it the next day, at work, on facebook (total win), and the next time they see it, they're in the know.  

What might make this method palatable besides not having to clean your grate in the morning, is the smothering effect the wet cow flesh has on the coals.  They are really only lit on the outside, and they are smothered on contact and the burn is not turning your 14.95 per pound steak into a charcoal briquette.

I'm very supportive of this technique, it piques the interest in people for bbq, and that's a win.

Options
    @JohnEggGio Way to move out of the comfort zone.  Money shot for the win. Great outcome right there.   Just keep practicing. 
    @SonVolt the key is to have enough lava flowing lump to be able to flip to a previously unused section for the char.  You guys with XL's should have no issues.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    @SonVolt you’re somewhat correct - it did smother the fire where it laid. As Lou suggested,the key is enough landscape and I was a bit shy of space.

@nolaegghead No surprise that you save your ballbusting for someone like me, rather than one of the “in” crowd.  No one at my home knew my cooking method, there were no “ooos and ahhhs”.  I only shared it with this mix of nice guys and ****.

Thanks @lousubcap , I thought the flavor was a bit richer.  No worries about ash or clinging coals.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Hey, I'm not busting your balls.  I like you, man.  Just venting through clicky-clacking on my keyboard after another day in the salt mines. 

I've done that technique several times, and it's a winner.  Keep on keepin on, brotha!!
    Options
    Let’s be it.  That’s a fun way to finish
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    @nolaeggheadThen I apologize - I was reading through a lens quite similar to the one you were writing through.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    I would add that while I love a good flat iron steak....it might not have been the best cut for the Caveman method. First and foremost, you took a leap of faith and you are to be commended for that. :) Secondly, I believe the method works best with a very thick uniform cut. You acknowledged the unevenness of the cut. That said, when you throw a $30-$40 piece of quality beef on with the hopes of not ruining it....and then find out how good it is/was.....that is bringing it home. Keep up the great work.....try a good Porterhouse next. Its my favorite. Great job.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    @northGAcock Thanks for the good words.  I came to that conclusion - will try again with a thick cut, and will finish with the caveman treatment - as Loussubcap did.

Hmmmm, Father’s Day porterhouse...sounds right to me!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE