Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is a Reverse Sear really worth it?

Options

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Theophan said:
    SonVolt said:
    ... You absolutely do not get the same results on your BGE that a high-end restaurant can achieve on a 1,800F overhead broiler.  You may be thinking you're close, but you're not even in the same ballpark flavor-wise.
    Help me with this, please.  I sear for 1 minute a side at 600°-650°.  If they're searing THREE TIMES HOTTER than that, there are only two possibilities: either they're charring the steak more, so the "flavor" you're talking about is mostly how much of the surface is actually burned, not seared, or they're searing it much less long than I am, but achieving a similar result.  Here's a steak I reverse seared:

I wouldn't want it any more seared than that -- any more and it would be burned on the outside.  And there's only a very thin layer of gray meat under the sear.  What do you think is making a flavor difference with an 1800° sear, then?  Blacker sear?  Even smaller gray area?  

I've never had a steak in a restaurant that is as good as the ones I cook at home.  But I've never been to the great steak restaurants in NYC, for example.  My guess is that if their steaks really taste better, it's because they've got better meat than I have, not their 1800° broiler.  The main cooking is done in their oven, not the broiler.

Maybe I'm wrong, but what am I wrong about, exactly?

It's hard to explain unless you've eaten and/or cooked on one, and it's not a difference you can demonstrate with photos. It's a taste thing.   Those 1,800F broilers actually don't give you that dark char like in your photo, they give you a light brown, very even crust. For whatever reason that crust is far more savory than other cooking methods.  One big difference is you can get that 1,800F heat-source a couple inches away from the surface of the steak so it sears extremely fast. You can only do that because the heat is from the top - zero flareups. Try that on a traditional grill or BGE and you can kiss your ribeye goodbye as a sacrifice to the fire gods. 

Once you've been to a legit high-end steakhouse it really is a life changing experience and it's not necessarily about a better quality steak. They typically sell both prime and non-prime and the non-prime are still amazing.  Long story short, broiling just provides a different flavor-profile than a grilled steak. You may or may not prefer it. For me the crust is more savory.

You can get identical results cooking your steak set underneath a chimney starter (not on top)... it's kind of pain but it works. 

Your steak looks great, btw. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SonVolt
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I actually have a theory that most people are over-searing their steaks which is taking the maillard reaction too far and burning up those newly created aromas and flavors. It's like a bell-curve where the sweet spot for peak savory beefiness is somewhere in the middle. Take it too far where you're getting black spots and too much char and you begin sliding back down the other side of the bell curve. Of course this is all relative and we're talking about minor improvements/impediments between technique and cooking methods...  a well-cooked steak is delicious regardless. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Very interesting, and thanks for trying to explain what it's like.  Maybe if I ever get to one of those steak places, I'll understand what you mean.  There's a new restaurant in my area that allegedly is a "high end steak restaurant."  I tend not to be impressed with steak restaurants because at least in my past experience, they're never as good as mine!  But maybe I'll give this one a try, and ask them if they use an 1800° broiler, and if they do, I'll give it a try and see if I love it.

Thanks again!
  • tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    Options
    I had my first 'real steakhouse broiler steak' a few months ago.  I wasn't impressed, thankful for the opportunity to try, but I'll stick to my own steaks for sure.
    Like most of you, I'm so much happier eating a well prepared 15-20 dollar steak at home than forking over 60 bucks for somebody elses cooking.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options

2 Words that can forever change your life when it comes to steak. "Peter Luger" I've eaten there and tasted the beef of the gods. I've been chasing it ever since.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Theophan said:
    SonVolt said:
    ... You absolutely do not get the same results on your BGE that a high-end restaurant can achieve on a 1,800F overhead broiler.  You may be thinking you're close, but you're not even in the same ballpark flavor-wise.
    Help me with this, please.  I sear for 1 minute a side at 600°-650°.  If they're searing THREE TIMES HOTTER than that, there are only two possibilities: either they're charring the steak more, so the "flavor" you're talking about is mostly how much of the surface is actually burned, not seared, or they're searing it much less long than I am, but achieving a similar result.  Here's a steak I reverse seared:

I wouldn't want it any more seared than that -- any more and it would be burned on the outside.  And there's only a very thin layer of gray meat under the sear.  What do you think is making a flavor difference with an 1800° sear, then?  Blacker sear?  Even smaller gray area?  

I've never had a steak in a restaurant that is as good as the ones I cook at home.  But I've never been to the great steak restaurants in NYC, for example.  My guess is that if their steaks really taste better, it's because they've got better meat than I have, not their 1800° broiler.  The main cooking is done in their oven, not the broiler.

Maybe I'm wrong, but what am I wrong about, exactly?

It's hard to explain unless you've eaten and/or cooked on one, and it's not a difference you can demonstrate with photos. It's a taste thing.   Those 1,800F broilers actually don't give you that dark char like in your photo, they give you a light brown, very even crust. For whatever reason that crust is far more savory than other cooking methods.  One big difference is you can get that 1,800F heat-source a couple inches away from the surface of the steak so it sears extremely fast. You can only do that because the heat is from the top - zero flareups. Try that on a traditional grill or BGE and you can kiss your ribeye goodbye as a sacrifice to the fire gods. 

Once you've been to a legit high-end steakhouse it really is a life changing experience and it's not necessarily about a better quality steak. They typically sell both prime and non-prime and the non-prime are still amazing.  Long story short, broiling just provides a different flavor-profile than a grilled steak. You may or may not prefer it. For me the crust is more savory.

You can get identical results cooking your steak set underneath a chimney starter (not on top)... it's kind of pain but it works. 

Your steak looks great, btw. 
    I hear ya, but I think quality of the meat is a factor...GIGO.

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    ive tried most methods, always come back to trex with a good steak
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Not long ago I did a veal chop trex - amazing flavor.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • SonVolt
    Options
    I had my first 'real steakhouse broiler steak' a few months ago.  I wasn't impressed, thankful for the opportunity to try, but I'll stick to my own steaks for sure.
    Like most of you, I'm so much happier eating a well prepared 15-20 dollar steak at home than forking over 60 bucks for somebody elses cooking.

I've had steaks at chains like Ruth's Chris that were blah and some that were almost a religious experience.  Like everything it's hit or miss, even at the good ones.  I don't like spending $60 on a steak either. I'll take my own 90% of the time. 
  • SSQUAL612
    edited June 2018
    Options
    From what I’ve read about trex method is it just sear first, rest then cook at 400 till desired IT?   I’ll try this sometime since it does reduce time of reverse sear. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    From what I’ve read about trex method is it just sear first, rest then cook at 400 till desired IT?   I’ll try this sometime since does reduce time of reverse sear. 
    Not really. Egg is slower to cool down than it is to heat up
  • TEXASBGE2018
    edited June 2018
    Options

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Thanks for the opinions everyone, I think im gonna have to at least try the reverse sear a couple times. May start this weekend.

• SSQUAL612
    Options
    Wiunoriginalusername said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    From what I’ve read about trex method is it just sear first, rest then cook at 400 till desired IT?   I’ll try this sometime since does reduce time of reverse sear. 
    I can get it down to 400 before the 20 min rest is up. 
  • SonVolt
    Options
    Thanks for the opinions everyone, I think im gonna have to at least try the reverse sear a couple times. May start this weekend.

If you want a pure test I'd do it in the oven first at say 200-250F... then sear on the egg or whatever you want to use. The oven will give you a more stable temp. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Wiunoriginalusername said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    I can get it down to 400 before the 20 min rest is up. 
    its about the time it takes to drink a cold beer, so bring 2 out for the rest period.  crust is different between trex and reverse sear as well and you can sear salt only, then add pepper or rub during the rest and not burn those ingredients. i hate burnt pepper
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    My version of a TRex steak, best on thick steaks.

Step 1

Step 2

Rest off heat for 20 min, then Step 3 (400° til done)

TRex's version... http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    edited June 2018
    Options
    dbl post, whoops.
  • Srf_in_Dfw
    Srf_in_Dfw Posts: 42
    Options
    For what it's worth, I cooked my steaks like you until a few weeks ago when I brought home some thick filets from Cosco. Cooked at 250 until it hit 115 and then seared on the MM at 600. 

They were terrific. Great color all the way through. With thick cuts I think it's the only way to go. 

Give it a shot.
    LBGE, Minimax

Dallas, TX
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options

• SSQUAL612
    Options
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I had some 1/2" select sirloins that I picked up from the Piggly Wiggly.  They didn't take to the reverse sear quite as nice.  I wish I just seared them straight away.  Either way, our AA meeting still went OK.  We even had one feller that accepted Jesus that night.  I don't want to say that for sure it was my steaks that did it, but....
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SonVolt
    edited June 2018
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I had some 1/2" select sirloins that I picked up from the Piggly Wiggly.  They didn't take to the reverse sear quite as nice.  I wish I just seared them straight away.  Either way, our AA meeting still went OK.  We even had one feller that accepted Jesus that night.  I don't want to say that for sure it was my steaks that did it, but....

Which fine sauce you pair them steaks with, ketchup or ranch? Crown with a pat of margerine maybe?
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I was going to grab some 1/2 ribeyes for tonight , but I can’t find a post on how to properly cook em?  Can you please share your methods?
  • Legume
    Options
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    So what other methods would one prefer for cooking steaks?  I’ve heard Reverse sear, Caveman, Trex,  Sous Vide,  Broil...any other notables? 
  • Legume
    Options
    radiation, or is it irradiation?

pressure cooker?
    blackstone?
    wood fired oven?
    slow cooker?
    firewires?
  • SonVolt
    Options
    I just grill it the old fashioned way the vast majority of the time. Seared hard then moved to indirect lowered heat. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Legume said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    I was quoting TEXASBGE2018's rant, now in the APL thread.
    Whatever you do, don’t take a picture of yourself standing next to your douche canoe.