Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big reason to sell an Egg

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,676
edited June 2018 in EggHead Forum
bought this Large for $200 a week ago. Now see one BIG reason to sell it (other than the divorce). You can’t open the bottom vent without a real struggle. 
They have had this for 5 or 6 years and only used it a few times. installed the bottom vent backwards. 
Anyone know a trick to fix this without fully disassembled and pulling out of nest???

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Take out of the nest and the parts will slide out and over the screws on the far right side. May need some elbow grease but pretty easy to do. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,236
    Options
    Open both vents as far as they’ll go. Spin the egg in the nest so that you can pull both pieces of the vent out. Install correctly and spin the egg back to the correct position. 
  • Mickey
    Options
    Open both vents as far as they’ll go. Spin the egg in the nest so that you can pull both pieces of the vent out. Install correctly and spin the egg back to the correct position. 
    Sounds like a winner. Seem to remember years ago a post like this. Thanks
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Mickey,
    I think it was installed wrong before it got to Ace Hardware.
    For me, if you don't want to remove from nest, is to rotate the Egg in the Nest counter clock wise and remove the 2 nuts and bolt from the lest side of the vent. Slide off and reinsert correctly. You can work them over the bolt heads but it's not worth bending the vents or track grooves. Take out the box and ring and it will rotate in the nest fairly easy.
    You could also first try removing the one bolt on the nest and see if you can safely move the one bar out of the way.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,528
    Options
    With my LBGE if you slide the solid cover all the way to the right it will clear the screen piece.  Then you just have to slide it back on the outside.  Worth a try.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Looks like the egg needs to be rotated anyway. The cross bar on the base should be in the back of the egg. 
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Mickey
    Options
    @Photo Egg you are correct on installation. 
    Good catch @Hotch

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,735
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    With my LBGE if you slide the solid cover all the way to the right it will clear the screen piece.  Then you just have to slide it back on the outside.  Worth a try.  FWIW-

Yep, mine also!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va