Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Negotiating for used eggs

Options
My collection is solid (for now) but my brother in law really wants an egg and I'm trying to find him one before father's day. There are several for sale locally that are just asking waaay to much.
We all know the true value of a used egg, but how to you convince somebody to come down from a $650-750 asking price without sounding like a ****?
Kansas City, Kansas
Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain

Comments

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,172
    Options
    I don't think you do. Make them a fair offer and if they refuse, walk away. No harm done. If you know their price is too high, no need to worry about it any more. They will either find out when it does not sell, or some sucker will pay too much and they get their price. Either way it does not affect you.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,051
    Options
    It is worth what a person is willing to sell it for, and what a buyer is willing to pay.

We know true cost, how to get deals (eggfests or some dealers), and the cost of replacement parts.  Honestly, we are probably the group hardest on prices.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I have negotiated with the angle that there is no warranty for me when I purchase it. Get prices for replacement parts and know them to quote what it’s going to cost you when the inevitable crack happens.  I also treat them like a friend, offer knowledge about the egg, show them it might be better to keep it, how to get more for it, etc.. I had one lady lower the price because I was nice to her. Each sale is different. Trying to find a general way of lowering the price will not work. Find their reason for selling it and don’t try to use them. You feel it when people do it to you, they sense it easily too. And like others have said, if the price isn’t right, keep looking. 
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,861
    Options
    They are like hen's teeth to find in the UK.  If it was a dog i would look at its paws, teeth and see the mother. Not really helping much, am I??? =)
    Best of luck though.  
    Bear in mind that Egg-ers are good solid people.  I am not saying mis-trust a seller/defector, but I could never imagine parting with mine. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Anyway your buddy can swing another $100-$150? You would be able to pick up a new one for around that price. It would be just the BGE but would have the warranty with it. He should be able to find a nest and table mates cheap on Craigslist. I know this wasn't your question but he's so close to the cost of an egg with warranty. I'd hate to have something crack right away and now he's a couple hundred dollars over the cost of a new egg with warranty. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Hiker
    Hiker Posts: 13
    Options
    What are the key wear points to look for?  * Cracks * Hinge issues * Gasket wear * Dirty? e.g. grease splatter? * band wear?   Anything else?

All help is appreciated
    Got a GoFundMe acct my 1st BGE Large
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I’d say of everything listed only one matters - cracks. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Shoot first.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    Find their reason for selling it and don’t try to use them. You feel it when people do it to you, they sense it easily too. 
    Well said. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    IMO Used eggs are worth half of what a new one should be. New eggs are expensive because your buying a lifetime warranty. And accessories are just that-accessories. You’ll never get what you paid for them. 
    NW IOWA
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I got my xl used with a table and platesetter for half of what my dealer wanted for the bare egg. Got me in the door, but will not buy used again because of the risk involved. New large on the list sometime this winter.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Sell him yours and buy ya a new shinny one!!!

My daughter is getting married in Dec and I am refinishing my egg table I built and cleaning up my old large and giving it to them as a wedding gift.  I am then going to buy me an XL.  Wifey actually suggested the XL over the L when we were looking at em again.  I have another table waiting that I have had for about 2 or 3 years now but have to do some mods to it!!!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    When buying used items, I simply look for those selling within the price range I’m willing to pay. If not a match, I move on. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I don't think it should require a lot of negotiation.  A polite message saying that you think the lifetime warranty represents a sizeable piece of the BGE's value and in it's absence you're willing to pay X.  Either they're understanding and sympathetic to your position, or not.  Either way, you can move forward politely and without insult.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA