Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland Gasket Replacement

Options
Hi All:

Thought I would share my gasket replacement with you.  The Rutland came from @RRP a.k.a Ron, of course.  His kindness and patience helped me through this process, which I was quite nervous about.  I highly recommend his services if you are in need of a replacement.  It's nice to know I will never have to replace this thing again!

Comments

• KennyCJR
    KennyCJR Posts: 262
    Options
    Nice job!  I’ve been reading and searching the forums for more info and plan to contact Ron too. So we only a bottom gasket if using a Rutland?
    Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s
  • aymobley
    aymobley Posts: 34
    Options
    Yep!  You'll need to thoroughly clean off the top and bottom factory gaskets first, then apply only a bottom gasket.
  • Kevinboatright
    Options
    Great picture. I'm looking to upgrade mine as well but am nervous about ruining everything.  I'll be contacting @RRP in the coming days.  

Atlanta, GA 

LBGE, Mini-Max, Mini, 1995 BGE Chiminea, 22" Blackstone, Weber Genesis E-310. 
  • aymobley
    aymobley Posts: 34
    Options
    @RRP is extremely helpful and patient.  I can't recommend him enough.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Looks like the material those thermoworks high-temp probes are threaded with. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • chuckytheegghead
    chuckytheegghead Posts: 1,201
    Options
    Good job. One of the cleaner installations I’ve seen. 
  • BigGreenBean
    BigGreenBean Posts: 117
    Options
    I installed a Rutland gasket recently, too.  Do NOT be intimidated, folks.  It's easy, and I'm thrilled with how it turned out.  Looks like mine.  Nice work.
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • klosurdo
    klosurdo Posts: 43
    Options
    Just curious. If these Rutland gaskets work so much better then the default gasket, why doesn't BGE just include these instead of the ones it comes with?
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    klosurdo said:
    Just curious. If these Rutland gaskets work so much better then the default gasket, why doesn't BGE just include these instead of the ones it comes with?
    Because they wouldn't be able to sell you a replacement
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    It takes more time and skill to install a Rutland which means higher production cost.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    My local ACE hardware has a spool of Rutland gasket that they obviously sell by the foot. I am not sure about the tubes of epoxy that they have next to it. They are labeled as being suitable for steel or plastic and don't say anything about ceramic.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    It’s on my list of things to do.  I’ve had 2 in my garage waiting for me for about a year now.  One is for me & the other for a friend...got my shopping list so getting closer.  After seeing Mickeys gasket I’m not in any hurry. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Looks good.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• BigGreenBean
    Options
    I'm a newbie, and was lucky enough to be given an MBGE from a friend.  This is one of the first things I did, as the egg needed a bit of TLC.  It's a snap.  Such a no-brainer if you're at the point of replacement.
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    It’s on my list of things to do.  I’ve had 2 in my garage waiting for me for about a year now.  One is for me & the other for a friend...got my shopping list so getting closer.  After seeing Mickeys gasket I’m not in any hurry. 
    @BigGreenBean  you disagreed with my above post and I’m a little curious as to what part is even debatable?  Is it that it’s on my list of things to do?  That there are 2 in my garage?  That I have my shopping list or that I have a friend?   Everything I said was an objective statement leaving nothing open to interpretation.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • BigGreenBean
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    @BigGreenBean  you disagreed with my above post and I’m a little curious as to what part is even debatable?  Is it that it’s on my list of things to do?  That there are 2 in my garage?  That I have my shopping list or that I have a friend?   Everything I said was an objective statement leaving nothing open to interpretation.  
    Only the waiting part!  Go for it!  No offense intended, my friend.
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Only the waiting part!  Go for it!  No offense intended, my friend.
    None taken...it’s made it to the list so getting closer.