Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spanish Spice Rubbed Steaks with Sherry Sauce; Gazpacho

Options
CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
Reverse sear on the steaks, finished off in cast iron pan with butter, rosemary and garlic. The gazpacho was fantastic.  The steaks....so so. First, to me nothing beats a ribeye but I grabbed some Prime New York strips at Central Market, and regretted it; and second, no matter how many articles I read about finishing steaks in a CI pan, it never ends up nearly as good as when I just do the final sear on my super hot CI grate. I am going to quit trying and stick to what is working 

LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• smokeybreeze
    smokeybreeze Posts: 216
    Options
    Absolutely do what works for you, and eschew all the advice you're given as "the only way". Trial by fire/continuous improvement/experimentation is how you learn to do what you like better each time.

These strips look fantastic BTW.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I’d love it brother.  Looks delicious.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    First, to me nothing beats a ribeye but I grabbed some Prime New York strips at Central Market, and regretted it; and second, no matter how many articles I read about finishing steaks in a CI pan, it never ends up nearly as good as when I just do the final sear on my super hot CI grate. 
    Completely agree about sear on grate vs cast iron.

Have you tried the Central Market marinated top sirloins? 
    https://centralmarket.com/product/chipotle-lime-marinated-beef-sirloinlb/
    The butcher told me his fave was the Southwest marinade. 
    I've tried both the Southwest and Chipotle Lime for a great fast meal with tex mex sides from the deli case.  Already marinated means you can go straight from the grocery bag onto the Egg. 

Both have been delicious on the egg (best) or roughing it inside via sous vide then cast iron (very good).
    The Orange Habanero is probably great too.   Today they also have a "jalapeno" flavor too.

fyi - It's not cut like a traditional sirloin;  more like... a thick flank steak. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice plate. As usual :)

The gazpacho really caught my eye though. Spent most of the weekend outside, and that gazpacho would have hit the spot. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.