Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cochinita Pibil

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,494
edited May 2018 in EggHead Forum
This was made on a PBS cooking show yesterday, and the grocery store had BOGO sale on "Smithfield Prime" pork butts, so set up to make it today.  
Once the sauce is made, the raw pork is thrown in (no browning first) and parts of the meat brown as the sauce evaporates. They did it in the oven but I used Mr. Egg with maple smoke.  

The recipe also included make-your-own pickled onions (something I've never done before) and make-your-own hotsauce (ditto).  Both were excellent and keepers.  

Had some issues, however.  First, what I thought was pork butt was actually loin roast, so the texture probably wasn't right. I'd buttoned up the egg before I'd toasted the tortillas; zapped them in the microwave but they fell completely apart.  I toasted the next round on a burner, that helped but not much.  Finally, this dish could use some white mexican cheese; next time.  
Also used my SMOBOT for the first time; laptop couldn't see the unit's wifi, and the regulator didn't move at all (I'm very bad at setting up electronics so its just a matter of playing with it a bit).  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    That looks awesome thanks for telling the do’s and don’ts 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Options
    @Botch, did you make those tortillas too?  I’ve tried it a couple of times with less than stellar results, but those look great!  

I grew up eating off of that same pattern of Corningwear, makes me think of my folks whenever I see it.
    XL  Central Ohio
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    @Botch, did you make those tortillas too?  I’ve tried it a couple of times with less than stellar results, but those look great!  

I grew up eating off of that same pattern of Corningwear, makes me think of my folks whenever I see it.
    @UncleBilly If you buy the right masa and have a tortilla press and ci pan or griddle, it’s really easy.  For me, the press is the key to consistency in thickness.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Nice pot of pork there @Botch

tacos win every time.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
  • Botch
    Options
    @Botch, did you make those tortillas too?  
    No, they were store-bought (they were out of my usual brand) and as mentioned, just fell apart when I tried to pick them up.  

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Looks delicious from here! I would crush that!
    LBGE
    AL
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Very nice cook.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Very nice!
    Rick B's Mexico One Plate At A Time, or Pati's Mexican Table?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    Options
  • Botch
    edited May 2018
    Options
    d'Oh!  I forgot to post the damn recipe:

Cochinita Pibil

3 lb pork butt
    1/2 cup minced onion
    3 minced garlic cloves
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp oregano
    1 tsp allspice
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/3 cup annato or tomato paste
    1 1/2 cups water
    1/4 cup orange juice concentrate
    2 Tblspns white vinegar
    1.5 Tblspns Worcestershire
    5 bay leaves
    2 tsp salt
    1 tsp black pepper

Cut up a 3-lb pork shoulder into 1” cubes, cutting excess fat.

Saute onion in oil; add the rest (scraping the bottom after adding the water), in order, simmer a bit.  Throw the pork in and stir to coat.  Put into 300-degree oven or Egg, uncovered, for 2 hours.  Remove bay leaves.  Mash with a potato masher.  Simmer some more.  Add 1 Tblspn white vinegar.  Done.

Pickled Onion:
    Small red onion
    1 cup white vinegar
    1/3 cup white sugar
    1/4 tsp salt
    Finely slice the red onion polarwise, into thin slices.  Boil vinegar, dissolve sugar and salt into it, pour over onion, let set 1/2 hour to two days.  

Habanero sauce:
    1 cup water
    1 chopped tomato
    1 chopped carrot
    1/2 habanero (I used a whole one less the stem)
    1/4 cup minced onion
    1 minced garlic clove
    1/2 tsp salt
    Simmer together 10 minutes or until carrot is tender; blend until smooth.  
    Add 1 Tblspn white vinegar, juice of 1/2 lime, salt & pecker to taste.

Toast corn tortillas over Egg, spoon in pibil, top with onion and sauce, squirt w/fresh lime, enjoy.  

One other change I'll make in the future: that 1/4 cup of orange juice concentrate was a mess to thaw out and measure; next time I'll replace the water and concentrate with a single serving of OJ plus enough water to make 1 3/4 cups.