Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Cooks and New Toys

Options
Since receiving delivery of the XL BGE, we've had a ball.  Most recently we did some pork tenderloins, a beer can chicken and a reverse sear on three two-inch thick ribeyes and then a 650 degree cook of a rack of lamb.  My lord I forgot how great the results of these cooks are.  Looking around the table at everyone just eyes wide in amazement is worth it all.

Today I started ordering toys.  New 932 degree rated, long wristed grill gloves, a v-rack and the Maverick ET-732 dual probe thermometer.  I bought a crappy digital "instant" read thermometer yesterday at Walmart too.  I'll wait a month before being dissatisfied with it and ordering my thermapen.  :)

My step-son is 20.  He's interning locally this summer, which is awesome.  He loves cooking, loves grilling and loves meat. And he's not averse to learning.  He's extra intrigued by the device.  As a matter of fact he's already dropping hints about graduation presents.  

I'm enjoying imparting a little tribal wisdom on him.  Little things like "when you're lookin', you ain't cookin'."  And explaining the difference between dome temp and grid temp and resting meat and the like.  

It's gonna be a great summer.  These times around the Egg, smelling like smoke, having a cocktail and telling tales?  

Wouldn't trade any of it for the world.
Egger for 15 years.  I've owned and traded them like some folks do used cars.  Recently bought an XL BGE.  #WhatIsOldIsNewAgain

Comments

• ReTodded
    ReTodded Posts: 11
    Options
    Oh.  I forgot to mention the MAPP torch.  Do you know what it takes to get the undivided attention of a 20 year old male in Texas?  Lighting a grill with a damn blow torch.   B)
    Egger for 15 years.  I've owned and traded them like some folks do used cars.  Recently bought an XL BGE.  #WhatIsOldIsNewAgain
  • Stubby
    Stubby Posts: 134
    Options
    Funny you mention all this.. I don't have my XL yet but the kids all have a plan for cooks and are willing to help.. I can't wait for that. 
    Sounds like a great page for the family scrap book. Enjoy
    XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Good to see your Egg is delivering the goods and fun for you. It will always do that. I smile every time I fire mine up.  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Beavercreek_Smoker
    Options
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,733
    Options
    Reading your post made me feel all tingly. Happy summer!! It’s going to be a ton of fun :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Good times ahead!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Looking forward to the summer full of posted.  
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,046
    Options
    Love the post! Nothing better than family and food. 

I've had my Thermapen for the last 8 years with zero issues. It's been nothing but fantastic. I bought my parents a Javelin
    Pro thermometer for their egg a few months back. It's just as fast as my Thermapen and it's back lit unlike mine. The best part is that you can find it under $50. Others here have had their Javelin Pro for much longer and have had only positive praise for it. I'm not saying don't buy a Thermapen but you won't find a better thermometer for under $50. Might be worth looking into when looking a new thermometers 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota