Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

BBQ Baked Beans on Indirect Heat

Hello everyone. I am looking for an awesome BBQ Baked Bean recipe I can cook indirect heat so I can do another dish at same time on top rack. Been looking but not found what I think will work. Anyone got a good one to share? Thanks!

Enjoying life on my LBGE in Tell City, IN. Cheers!!

Comments

• ColtsFanColtsFan Posts: 1,772
    Two large BGE, KJ Jr, 36" Blackstone, FlameBoss 300
    Follow me on Instagram @ hoosier_egger
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!
  • StormbringerStormbringer Posts: 1,228
    This is what we do:

https://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk/2018/01/05/smokey-chipotle-beans/

Goes nicely with beef shortribs:

Large BGE and MMX, both with platesetter and cast iron grid. Superpeel for pizza, iDevice for temperature.
    Cooking on the large in deepest, darkest England since Oct 2015. MMX added to the family Mar 2016.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff http://www.thecooksdigest.com
    --------------------------------------------------------------

• Kent8621Kent8621 Posts: 327
    i have one I can send you that is my go to and people ask for whenever we cookout.  PM your email address and I can fwd it over.

2 Large Eggs - Huntsville, AL

Boiler Up!!

• thardingtharding Posts: 21
    These are awesome, thanks for your help!

• northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 9,993
    I did one last summer if I recall correctly. I believe i combined a recipe from @Carolina Q (found on the forum if i recall) with another i have found somewhere. I used half of of pork collar with mine....and when complete, it broke apart nicely. Search baked beans in the forum search feature....You will find some info. If you work with it and perfect it....by all means please share it back with us all. Wish i was more help.

Columbia, South Carolina with a Medium, MiniMax & a 17" Blackstone

Talk-in' 'bout, hey now! Hey now! I-ko, I-ko, un-day
    Jock-a-mo fee-no ai na-né, jock-a-mo fee na-né

• GrillSgtGrillSgt Posts: 1,720
    A bit of advice, for things like this I find it best to bring your cook up to simmer on your stovetop. 250-275 on your egg will keep it going.
    Woodford & Barren Co. KY

LBGE, XLBGE, 2 Weber Genesis, Weber 22" kettle

I’d kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

• SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 1,887
    Dutch's wicked beaked beans are fantastic.  

https://www.langbbqsmokers.com/blog/dutchs-wicked-baked-beans/

Lots of good ways to doctor the recipe up.

• stlcharcoalstlcharcoal Posts: 3,055
    Render some fat out of bacon, then saute onions, bell peppers, pablano peppers, and diced canned tomatoes, then add.....

2 big cans of regular Bush's Baked Beans
    1 can of black beans
    1 can of red beans
    1 can of kidney beans

Let it come to a simmer, then add some root beer (real sugar, not corn syrup), BBQ sauce, hot sauce, and sorghum molasses.  Add any other spices to your liking.

Then when it's about ready, put the rendered bacon back in and pulled pork, brisket, whatever.  Then I always add okra.....only needs about 20 minutes soften up (I do the same with chili.)
  • thardingtharding Posts: 21
    Thanks so much to everyone for the help. 

• stlcharcoalstlcharcoal Posts: 3,055
    Render some fat out of bacon, then saute onions, bell peppers, pablano peppers, and diced canned tomatoes, then add.....

2 big cans of regular Bush's Baked Beans
    1 can of black beans
    1 can of red beans
    1 can of kidney beans

Let it come to a simmer, then add some root beer (real sugar, not corn syrup), BBQ sauce, hot sauce, and sorghum molasses.  Add any other spices to your liking.

Then when it's about ready, put the rendered bacon back in and pulled pork, brisket, whatever.  Then I always add okra.....only needs about 20 minutes soften up (I do the same with chili.)
    Forgot to add......smoke this over maple or sassafras mixed with apple.  Then off heat, add apple cider vinegar to get it to the perfect balance.
  • onedbguruonedbguru Posts: 1,549
    Bush's Maple Bacon baked beans, add some onions, Moonshine BBQ sauce (I get this from a local farm near Annapolis) and some leftover chopped brisket pieces.  Simple if you don't want to go full-on homemade.