Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First brisket advice

Options
Costco had a prime peeled and trimmed 4.5 lb brisket that I picked up and I am looking for advice on how to low and slow this bad boy. It is small but I have never cooked on on the BGE before, wife has always done the pioneer woman recipe in the oven. Please let me know rubs, temps, minutes per pound, etc.... Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Myrtle Beach, SC

Large BGE, platesetter, cast iron grate, ivation meat thermometer

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Search function for the win.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Search function for the win.
    Frank....he is a Clemmy fan. We will probably need to cook it for him. =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited May 2018
    Options
    mmmmmmmm, boiled brisket soaked in liquid.  Go get 'em Ree!

Rub is up to you - whatcha like?  Just salt and pepper (like a ton of it, not a sprinkle) comes out great or you can fancy it up.  Poke around for @Mickey
    coffee rub - it's a winner.

Temp is up to you too.  Pick a temp you are confident that you can hold for a long time.  You may have a temp that your egg seems to settle in at nicely.  You are going to be shooting for between 195 and 205 IT most likely, but I will let @lousubcap add the gospel regarding what drives the cook - it is likely the most oft-quoted piece of brisket truth ever and applies to multiple questions.

Minutes per pound.  Well, @lousubcap 's quote applies here too.  It'll be between 40 and 120, just about guarantee it.   =)

Brisket is more art than science, but one thing is for sure - 60% of the time it works every time.

Go get a second one, take the first one out for a test cook before you  whip your meat out on the kitchen table and expect wifey to be wowed.   B)
  • lousubcap
    Options
    And the quote: "the friggin cow drives the cook"  and that is the foundational truth with any brisket cook.  Have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    And the quote: "the friggin cow drives the cook"  and that is the foundational truth with any brisket cook.  Have fun.

I can attest to this because this past weekend I had a 4pound Brisket Point take 10 hours to get to 205 Internal Temp.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    edited May 2018
    Options
    1 .salt it and leave in fridge uncovered for 2 days
    2 grind whole peppercorns amd coat it with them
    3 smoke low and slow at 210F for 1.5 hrs per lb
    4 if it probes tight with appx 3 hr left and is stuck at 165, wrap it and crank heat to 275
    5 cook til its jiggly

If it probes loose and IT is above 175, let er ride for remaining 3 hrs and cook to 195-205

• wocotiger7
    wocotiger7 Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks for some guidance and a ton of sarcasm. I rubbed the brisket with dizzy dust and vacuum sealed it and stuck her in the freezer for two weeks, pulled her out and threw her on at 225’. She took just under 10 hours for the 4.5 lbs and I feel like I did alright.

Myrtle Beach, SC

• KGilma2018
    KGilma2018 Posts: 120
    Options
    Looks good.  I did my first brisket this weekend too.  I feel like I did alright too for a first try, but there is always room for improvement.  
    Franklin, TN
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    nice swing at it for your first try...of course I would expect nothing but a win from a Tiger...it's the coots you gotta watch....what king of blade do I see in the picture?

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• lousubcap
    Options
    Way to take it on and bring it home.  Nailing a flat is a bit of a challenge and you excelled.  Congrats.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Good looking cook, nice job.  Tip for next time put in a disposable drip pan or make one out of H/D foil.  All that grease on the plate setter will eventually have to run off into the coals for a nasty grease fire that would ruin that great piece of cow.  Plus keep the plate setter clean.  I just use foil.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • wocotiger7
    wocotiger7 Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks everyone! @pasoegg it’s a shun.

Myrtle Beach, SC

• Color_My_World_Green
    Options
    Looks good to me. My husband wants me to cook him one. You are giving me inspiration. 
    Living life to the fullest in Savannah Georgia