Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mother's Day Sous Vide from Frozen Ribeye

Options
HoustonEgger
HoustonEgger Posts: 616
We had a busy weekend with family over Saturday for kiddo #1's birthday dinner & I then made breakfast for the 8 people Sunday morning on the blackstone (bacon, pancakes & french toast). So come Sunday afternoon I realized I didn't have anything ready/available for dinner, so I went freezer diving and came out with a ribeye from 6/26/17. At 12 noon I got the sous vide going at 125 and threw the vac sealed steak in there. Let that go until 5pm, then pulled, dried and seared on the MiniMax in a lodge cast iron with butter & herbs. Used the woo from Ceramic Grill Store to get the pan screaming hot. Seared for 2 minutes per side and pulled. Perfection. 

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker

Comments

• JustOneOfTheGuys
    Options
    Now that’s how steak is done right!  That’s one great looking steak, bar none. 
    Southwestern CT
  • nate1152
    nate1152 Posts: 20
    Options
    Wow, looks awesome. I'll DM you my address for leftovers. 
    Minneapolis, MN

"90% of life is showing up. The other 50% is style." - Me, after a long night of drinking.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I'd crush it.  Good job
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice job, exactly how I like me steak.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    NICE! Great job, love the sear.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    The crust on that is amazing.

If that's what you can pull off on the fly, I'll be right over. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Wow -- that might be the best sous vide story I've ever heard.  Hard to have pulled that off without it.  Steak looks perfect!
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    To add to the meal - I also found a bag of the @RRP 10 hour burgundy mushrooms and some sausage stuffing from Christmas. Those went into the Sous vide for about an hour to defrost and warm for dinner - everything was a freezer dive meal and it was awesome. But no pics of the finished plate so it didn't happen
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker