Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Cooking Question

Options
I'm planning on making fajitas for a party next weekend and when looking for recipes everything seems to point towards using cast iron for the steak and veggies. What I'm wondering is if I should be using my plate setter to cook indirect on the cast iron or should I put my cast iron directly on the grid (or coals)? I've only used my cast iron pan once thus far and I put it directly on the grid and I had a hard time cooking as it got way too hot and I couldn't control it.  

Comments

• RustyBeavers
    Options
    I have made fajatas several times. I like to put my cast iron pan on the grill for the veggies, and cook the meat directly on the grid. I try to keep the dome temp around 400, so it doesn’t get too hot. 
    Dallas, TX

• GrillnTX
    GrillnTX Posts: 65
    Options
    Good idea to close to lower vent. I will try that. For fajitas do you cook dome open or are you able to close it? With thin cuts of meat I'm afraid they'll burn or dry out if I close the dome. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    GrillnTX said:
    Good idea to close to lower vent. I will try that. For fajitas do you cook dome open or are you able to close it? With thin cuts of meat I'm afraid they'll burn or dry out if I close the dome. 
    I would say just use your best judgement. If the meat is fairly thin and rests on the counter for awhile it will cook super fast and no need to worry about closing the dome. Closing the dome will infuse more smoke flavor if you are using any wood chips or a couple chunks. Make sure you have some long tongs or a long pig tail flipper.lol
    It will be a hot cook.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    You don’t have to use a CI pan or whatever if you don’t want to. Cook the steaks whole and slice after cooking. The veggies should fit on the grill whole too. Just a suggestion. Do what you feel comfortable doing. The results will be fine either way. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Agree with the above. Don't bother cooking the meat in the cast iron. But you can cook the veggies. If you have a raised grid or adjustable rig you could cook the meat on the bottom and put the cast iron pan on the elevated grid. If not do as stated above and close the bottom vent leave the lid open to control temps.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    What I actually prefer to do if you don't want the veggies to get the charred/smoky flavor is cook them in cast iron on the stove. I put about a tablespoon of butter and some chopped garlic in the pan and then cook the veggies till carmelized. They will still get the charred flavor if you don't constantly stir them. But I always cook the meat on the egg.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I cook the veg stovetop and skirt on grid. Make sure and use poblanos and not green or red peppers and skirt for the meat.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    I did fajitas in cast iron. 600F for one minute per side.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1211493/first-try-fajitas
    Mountain View, CA
  • GrillnTX
    Options
    Thanks all, I'll let you know how it turns out! Great suggestions. 
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Options
    I agree @bikesAndBBQ - cooking your whole veggies directly on the grid works well (if you want some char). I also cook the steak whole directly on the grid.  If you slice it prior to cooking it gets real challenging to not over cook it. 
    XL  Central Ohio
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Preat CI so it stays hot.  If younha ve the real estate cook meat on grill, sear first then go indirect , especially with chicken.  Skirt steak needs simple salt amd pepper then sear to med rare . No maarina de as itll steam and you need that crust

The whole purpose of CI pan is to put raw sliced onions and peppers on so it sizzles when you remove from the grill and slice the meat on top of sizzling veggies
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    My wife took the actual grilling pic but here is the end results of Weekend Fajitas.

Chicken - we used a pre-marinated pack from HEB for convienence
    Peppers Whole- Red, Yellow, Poblano
    Avocado- halved
    HEB Southwest fresh Tortillas

Grilled Chicken Raised Direct, put peppers on other side of grate indirect (PS WOO, 1/2 stone)
    Avocado- cooked face down 1/2 way, turned over scored and brushed with EVOO

Sliced chicken and peppers and plated.  I like to add Rice and Beans to my taco when available.  There was so much flavor didn't even bother with Pico.

When the wife wants the peppers cooked in the C&I we use garlic and EVOO as well, I just prefer then egg cooked whole.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • GrillnTX
    Options
    Those are some good looking fajitas!
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    If your fajita meat is not pre sliced, you don't need CI.  Just cook/ sear the slabs direct and slice on a cutting board.   They will be moister. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I have a "grilling basket" metal w/holes, that I cook my veggies in for fajitas, and typically begin cooking them before putting on the meat - generally around 500+°F