Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ottawa Red Wings

Options
GrateEggspectations
GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,365
edited April 2018 in EggHead Forum
Was in the mood for some wings this weekend and decided to give @RRP’s Georgia Red Wings a go (http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1170781/some-more-georgia-red-wings/p1). Only issue was that I didn’t have some of the requisite ingredients on hand. Rather than forego the cook, I simply bastardized the recipe with some minor tweaks (hence this reference to “Ottawa Red Wings”). Hope it doesn’t cause RRP too much heartache to see his recipe modified in this manner. 

For it the record, here was the recipe as I prepared it.

Ingredients: 

12 to 14 chicken wings 
.75 cup water 
1 cup soy sauce 
1/2 cup Frank’s Red Hot hot sauce 
1/2 cup lemon juice 
1 cup Clamato juice 

Several dashes of El Yucateco XXX hot sauce

2 Tbsp corn starch

2 Tbsp homemade basic bbq rub

Procedure:

1. Combine marinade ingredients in a large new Zip-Loc bag (1 gallon works best) and mix well. Pour marinade over the wings in bag and then place bag in a rigid container and squeeze out air so the wings stay submerged. 

2. Let the wings marinate in the refrigerator at a minimum of 50 hours! Massage bag and turn at least every 12 hours for best results.

3. Remove the wings from the marinade and toss with corn starch and bbq rub. 

4. Grill raised direct at 400° for 35 to 45 minutes. 

The results:

These turned out great. Will definitely make again. 

I have ave a friend who routinely wins bbq competitions. His philosophy when it comes to chicken is that charred chicken tastes best. I now keep this in mind when cooking chicken. Can’t say I disagree with him!

Comments