Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Thought Rockwood was Supposed to be Neutral???

Options
Did a meatloaf last night with RW lump and no smoke wood. It was fine. Didn't really notice a smokey taste or smell, but then, I usually don't right off the grill. Had a sandwich for lunch today and it was quite smokey, taste and smell. I liked it, but it was NOT neutral! Especially noticed the smell when I took it out of the fridge and opened the bag... just like with every other lump I've ever used. 

Myth...BUSTED! If you want neutral, use your oven.

However, the meatloaf, collards (Instant Pot) and my first cornbread (oven) in about 5 years were outstanding! Finally found baking powder with zero sodium! Baking soda too! So I can again make scratch cornbread or biscuits! Now if I could just find lo sodium ham! hahaha

Tonight, a rerun but with added fresh Instant Pot pinto beans! EXCELLENT!!!

If anyone knows how to keep meatloaf from crumbling, I'd love to know. 2 lb of meat, 1 cup of bread crumbs and 2 large eggs. Came off the egg in 4 pieces, impossible to slice!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Well I guess if you compare it to your electric oven it would have a smokey flavor.

But then again likely why we all use a charcoal grill and not gas. 

The better measure would be what did you think compared to your normal charcoal RO?

Greensboro, NC
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Heavy cream and oh **** no you didn’t. 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I remember someone on here had a really cool meatloaf wire mesh basket. What was the fat content of the beef? I’m guessing lit may have “lit” on the right answer- needed more moisture?
    Greensboro, NC
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Well I guess if you compare it to your electric oven it would have a smokey flavor.

But then again likely why we all use a charcoal grill and not gas. 

The better measure would be what did you think compared to your normal charcoal RO?
    My point was, every charcoal I have used, gives a smokey flavor. RW is no better or worse than any other I have tried, whether RO or WG, the two I usually use.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Nothing that burns is 100% neutral. It is neutral compared to other lumps. 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    I remember someone on here had a really cool meatloaf wire mesh basket. What was the fat content of the beef? I’m guessing lit may have “lit” on the right answer- needed more moisture?
    A mesh basket wouldn't have accomplished anything except allow me to get it off the grid in one piece. It still would have fallen apart when sliced. And in any case, the mesh basket was made by Brinkmann, filed for bankruptcy.

Fat content was 80/20.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    It is neutral compared to other lumps. 
    But it ISN'T! It's just as smokey as RO. Fanboys notwithstanding.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Hyperbole, it’s the internet.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Legume said:
    Wait. RW is NOT God's gift to grillers?! :rofl:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Legume
    Options
    Legume said:
    I meant your comparison to RO  =)=)=)

I actually meant all of it.  You’re on a mission to disprove something some people are enthusiastic about.  Just take it all with a big grain of sal...ugh, never mind.  Just divide everything on here by 10 and that’s about right.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Legume said:
    Legume said:

I actually meant all of it.  You’re on a mission to disprove something some people are enthusiastic about.  Just take it all with a big grain of sal...ugh, never mind.  Just divide everything on here by 10 and that’s about right.
    Look, I'm not on any mission. I don't care what lump anyone uses. Or how much they pay for it. I just think the folks who haven't yet succumbed to the perfect lump myth, deserve to know it ain't perfect. It's just charcoal. Buy what you want. Believe what you want. I bought four bags of the stuff. It's no worse than other lump, but it's no better either, and it costs more. Mine'll be gone soon.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options

Hans61 said:
    GaBGE said:
    I find that almost everything has a more smokey taste when reheated as leftovers for some reason. 
    The reason is when you stand by the grill you desensitize yourself to the smoke flavor. 
    I know that. Point is, all the "RW is neutral" hype is BS.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Legume
    Options
    Yikes.  Didn’t mean to pee in the Cheerios.
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    I can’t help it if you have pedestrian taste buds.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    I can’t help it if you have pedestrian taste buds.
    What does that have to do with what I said? I said the food tasted smokey without the use of smoke wood. If you can't tell that, it would appear that YOU are the one with pedestrian taste buds. hahaha. Nice try though.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Pediatric taste buds has a better ring, and is more appropriate.

Hey, some sit at their work desk, looking out the window, faced with the difficult decision of what wood they're going to pair with their Rockwood and ribs for the upcoming weekend.  Lol
    Choose wisely.
    It really does matter.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @Carolina Q I can’t figure out why your getting so much hate!!!   Honestly I like Rockwood and find it to be a better product than royal oak or others I’ve tried.  At no point did I read anything that stated it was a bad product or that you were calling it subpar.  You like every other individual who participates on this site you have the right to your own opinion.  People need to lighten up and stop the bs.   Why would your feeling it isn’t as smoke neutral as I do have any bearing on my view of the product..... it doesn’t.  

i like @stlcharcoal product and he’s a heck of a nice guy.   Which I think most everyone would agree with.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    @ryantt,  Just stating my opinion. It's okay lump. No more, no less. And IMO, it's not neutral. Can you imagine the reaction if I said something negative about CGS stuff? Or Thermoworks?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I think "more neutral" is probably a better description going forward.
    Stillwater, MN
  • drumdudeguy
    drumdudeguy Posts: 165
    Options
    The breadcrumbs make it crumble.
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • GrillSgt
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Just stating your opinion?

Myth
    Busted
    Fanboy
    God's gift
    Succumbed to the perfect lump myth 

Ohhhhhkkkkaaaayyyy
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    In my experience, leftovers always impart smokier flavour than freshly-cooked grub - even when I use fairly smoke-neutral lump, like Maple Leaf or Basque Sugar Maple.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Just stating your opinion?

Myth
    Busted
    Fanboy
    God's gift
    Succumbed to the perfect lump myth 

Ohhhhhkkkkaaaayyyy
    Yes, my opinion. Your point? 

Never mind.

In my experience, leftovers always impart smokier flavour than freshly-cooked grub - even when I use fairly smoke-neutral lump, like Maple Leaf or Basque Sugar Maple.
    Umm, that's what I said. Right off the grill, same as other lump. Next day, smokey.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I think that you're right in a rather strict, limited sense:  No, you can't cook with ANY charcoal and have it taste like it was cooked indoors in the oven.  If that's what you want for the definition of "neutral," then you're right.

But I think when people talk about Rockwood being "neutral: they mean something less black-or-white and more relative.  In my own experience, there is a very noticeable difference between the BGE lump that I used exclusively for many years and the Rockwood that I've been using for the last year or so.  BGE lump was noticeably smokier tasting than Rockwood.  (AND there's drastically less bad white smoke on lighting.)  So no, RW is not "neutral" in that it doesn't taste like it was broiled or cooked in an oven indoors, but it's relatively much more neutral than BGE/RO.

And I've never had meatloaf crumble.  I'd have to compare recipes to see if there is a big difference compared to your recipe.  I've done it a few different ways, too.  I've cooked it part way in a loaf pan and then carefully taken it out of the pan and onto a grid, and I've also formed it in a loaf pan and left it overnight in the fridge to get set in that shape, and then taken it out and just put it uncooked on the grid.  I really think making the loaf and refrigerating it overnight (wrapped in plastic wrap in a loaf pan) did help it keep its shape when I put it on the Egg and smoked it.  Both ways it turned out fine, and didn't crumble.

FWIW, here's a recipe for "Ain't Momma's Meat Loaf" from the Smoke & Spice book that I've Egged a number of times -- you can see whether you think the proportions are any different (you saute the veggies first):
    1 tablespoon olive oil 
    1/2 cup onion, minced 
    1/2 Sweet Pepper (Green or Red), chopped fine
    3 Garlic Cloves
    1 teaspoon fresh ground Black Pepper 
    1 teaspoon Kosher salt 
    1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin 
    1-1/4 lb. Ground Beef 
    3/4 lbs. Ground Pork 
    1-1/2 cups dry Bread Crumbs or panko
    3 tablespoons Sour Cream 
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce 
    1 Egg 
    1/4 cup Beef Stock 
    1 teaspoon Tabasco 
    Dizzy Pig Cow Lick 
    Your Favorite Barbecue Sauce
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Legume said:
    Legume said:

Look, I'm not on any mission. I don't care what lump anyone uses. Or how much they pay for it. I just think the folks who haven't yet succumbed to the perfect lump myth, deserve to know it ain't perfect. It's just charcoal. Buy what you want. Believe what you want. I bought four bags of the stuff. It's no worse than other lump, but it's no better either, and it costs more. Mine'll be gone soon.

It's perfect.
    NOLA
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    GaBGE said:
    I find that almost everything has a more smokey taste when reheated as leftovers for some reason. 
    The reason is when you stand by the grill you desensitize yourself to the smoke flavor. 
    Or, you sip bourbon when you’re cooking (guilty). 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Opinions are like a-holes. Most people have one :smiley:

Re: the meatloaf not staying together -  one of the things I learned in the course of our hog rearing venture, is that when making sausage, you have to knead the ground meat until its tacky to the touch. Releases myosin or something. A golf-ball size wad of meat should stick to your palm and not fall off. 

So maybe knead the mix more before putting the formed loaf on the egg?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    caliking said:
    Opinions are like a-holes. Most people have one :smiley:

Re: the meatloaf not staying together -  one of the things I learned in the course of our hog rearing venture, is that when making sausage, you have to knead the ground meat until its tacky to the touch. Releases myosin or something. A golf-ball size wad of meat should stick to your palm and not fall off. 

So maybe knead the mix more before putting the formed loaf on the egg?
    What!?  You guys have been saying not to over handle meat, now you are saying deliberately manhandle meat?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin