Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Porky day with the LBGE

Options
R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
I had some ribs and skin on pork belly to cook. I decided to try pork belly burnt ends and removed the skin. The belly was a little on the thin side so my cubes were only about 3/4" to 1" in size. Put the belly cubes and ribs (one rack of baby back, one rack of St. Louis spares) all on the Large Egg.

Got a page from work and while distracted by work and doing another cook on my Small Egg overcooked the belly burnt ends enough that I didn't take pics of them (still edible but disappointing). The ribs were fine.

Threw the skin on after the ribs were removed in an attempt to make some cracklins. Cooked them indirect probably for about 90 mins, then poked holes in the skin with a pick and cooked it direct to get the skin to crisp and puff up:

They came out better than I expected and made for a nice finish to a porky day.

Thanks for looking!
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Disappointing burnt ends are better than no burnt ends at all. Looks like some good eats. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Wow, that’s a lot of different stuff to keep an eye on! I’d get distracted SQUIRREL and burn the whole thing. Those ribs look excellent. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Disappointing burnt ends are better than no burnt ends at all. Looks like some good eats. 

True on the burnt ends.  Thanks!

blind99 said:
    Wow, that’s a lot of different stuff to keep an eye on! I’d get distracted SQUIRREL and burn the whole thing. Those ribs look excellent. 

I definitely have my "squirrel" moments.  That reminds me I should have posted pics of the cook I had going on my SBGE that I mentioned.  Thanks!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA