Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cypress table refinishing update

Thanks to all of you who gave advice on how to refinish my custom cypress table built by my dad. It sat in the weather underneath some wisteria for a year before I built my covered porch and got really nasty. I ended up going with Epifanes and laid down my first layer last night, which was 50/50 mineral spirits and epifanes. Will be sanding between each layer of varnish. Very pleased after over 10 hours of orbital sanding and my first coat. Will post
more pics as I move along. 

Before starting

Washed and started sanding 

10+ hours of sanding complete...

1st coat, 50/50 Epifanes

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Great refurb brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    10 hours of sanding - owch!

Next time borrow or rent a belt sander and a dual action....   i love my Festool RO 150, makes short work of tough sanding jobs...

Looks great!
    Nice!

I’m getting ready to finish my table in a couple of weeks. Planning on using Epifanes as well. What kind of brush did you use?

and you have such pretty hands and arms @nolaegghead

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    You need a table nest before your egg burns the rest of the way through the bottom shelf. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    caliking said:
    Nice!

I’m getting ready to finish my table in a couple of weeks. Planning on using Epifanes as well. What kind of brush did you use?

and you have such pretty hands and arms @nolaegghead
    Stock photo.   I am covered in scars from bad life-decisions.
    You need a table nest before your egg burns the rest of the way through the bottom shelf. 
    This
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • gbvinla
    gbvinla Posts: 96

Great job. Labor of love.

I inherited my first LBGE from my late father-in-law. The table was beyond repair so I built one. I still remember him when I cook on the egg. He was a great man that I had the pleasure of knowing for 20+ years before his passing.

Let us see the finished product when completed please. EGG ON!

Large BGE x2  Now we're cookin' in Dothan Al.
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    That table is going to look beautiful.  Hard to beat cypress.  +1 on the table nest.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    @JDoubleH - I thought one of the advantages of Epifanes was that it didn't need to be sanded between coats? 
    New Orleans LA
  • JDoubleH
    JDoubleH Posts: 112
    Coat #2 pic below. 

Hi all- thanks for the kind comments. To those who have mentioned table nest- you can bet your ass I already bought one. That burn mark happened through a piece of granite counter top AND a piece of ceramic tile. I picked up a table nest today! 

@nolaegghead I definitely needed a stronger sander- noted for next time. 

@caliking I’m using cheapo foam brushes for epifanes application, seems to be working great. 

@Dondgc I did a lot of YouTube and research on this forum before starting this project, and the best advice seems to be a very light sand between coats.