Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

B&B lump,anyone using it? Recently?

Options
good morning 
walmart here in south Texas just started carrying it,I did a search and didn’t find any recent discussions on it.a lot of mixed reports on the older discussions I did find.  I’m a rockwood guy but always ready to try something else.its pretty cheap too.

Comments

• jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Options
    I picked up a bag once from Academy one time last year.  IMO it wasn't any better or worse than Royal Oak.  Not too bad, not too good.  I too have recently switched to Rockwood.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I don't like the mesquite lump at all. I have used the oak and hickory. It's just ok in my opinion. I prefer RO if I'm going to use a cheaper lump. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Recently had to buy a bag of that. Used it once and gave it away, smoked like crazy. It was supposedly oak.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    its cheap enough to buy a bag so why not give it a go.  im not a lump snob, i look for cheap and available and dont look back if im good with it
    Zackly. I bought a bag of Cowboy the other day for just that reason. Haven't tried it yet, but all the elitists on here who claim it's awful haven't tried it either - not in years anyway. Sometimes things change, ya know? Maybe it's still bad, but I won't know if I don't try it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    @Carolina Q -thanks for taking one for the team.  I am no elitist in any stretch of the word and you are correct.  I did try Cowboy several years ago along with Frontier.  Both sucked then.  Given other options I have not looked back and won't.  In a commodity industry for me, you get one shot-hose it and I move on.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    My local Wal Mart has made the switch from RO to B&B as well. Have cooked with them all...but for me i stock up on RO/RW. Pick up a bag. If you hate it (like i did a bag of mesquite) use it for a clean burn when the time comes...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • distanceman
    distanceman Posts: 138
    Options
    I used a bag of hickory B&B from Academy. It was ok. Good for the price, I suppose. Bags of RO last a little longer, come up to temp a lil faster, and are a little cheaper...so I haven't bought anymore B&B. 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker