Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

oyster shuckers

Options
picked up an r murphy new haven elite shucker

question for those that shuck, are they supposed to be more dull than sharp, is sharp dangerous with these

httpswwwrmurphyknivescomstoremediaShellfishOysterNHOYSE1jpg
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Yes. More dull than sharp. Nice shucker fish!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Yea, what @bgebrent said. Very cool photo
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    ...yo Fish.....in my experience, sharp will become dull in relatively short order. The force you put in the sweet spot is what gives you the separation / opening. In other words, you are forcing pressure to open something....not really cutting into it.....if that makes sense. Sharp adds a danger, but if you slip (sharp or dull) you can do damage to your self. The sharpness probably only benefits you when you reach under the oyster and severe it from the shell. I see some benefit there....but that is not a legitimate need in my opinion....that is easy regardless. Just my two cents worth.

Bottom line....enjoy those morsels of delight.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    explains why i havent cut my self with it =)  my regular clam knives are sharp one side with a dull tip and backside but i use them for splitting steamer clams. need to get some oysters to try, maybe in a week or two
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    stole the photo from their site ;)
    fukahwee maine

• northGAcock
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    stole the photo from their site ;)
    The saltiness of the liquor prob want benefit the wood handle either over time.

• northGAcock
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Not working today hugh?

• bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Not working today hugh?
    Recovering from a procedure. You net working per usual?
  • northGAcock
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    Not working today hugh?
    hard at work on boring conference calls.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    You a bad mother-shucker!
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    Not working today hugh?
    hard at work on boring conference calls.
    Give my best to Pattie and Maddie and the other dog. 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited March 2018
    Options
    For that style of opener, thick dull steel is what you want as @northGAcock said.  A quality opener will stay straight for life.  Cheaper ones will begin to twist after their first bushel.

The other style of opener is the long thin narrow version that goes in from the bill end (opposite to the hinge).  Those knives are different since you kind of knock a chip off the front and slide it in.  I find more professional shuckers use those then the hinge openers.  Now that most oysters are farmed in cages and not tossed around in the tide, the shells are more brittle and I find I'm breaking off a lot more shell when I'm hinge opening vs. a solid bay oyster that's been rolling around all it's life.  ...knocking off the weak shell along the way.

I still predominately use the style like you have up there.  Here's the thin version as you have probably also seen;

I know there are a lot of other devices oyster houses use.  I personally like that big hinged arm some restaurants use so that they can plop anyone with very little skill at the oyster cooler to open 'em up.  But that's a lot of hardware to keep around.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • fishlessman
    Options

this one seems right for some reason

fukahwee maine

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Dexter makes a quality oyster knife.

NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    buzd504 said:

These are all we use.  
    Options
    buzd504 said:

These are all we use.  
    Yep.  I was using a knock-off brand that looked similar over thanksgiving and I snapped the tip off of it.  Dexter for me all the way.
    NOLA
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    buzd504 said:

These are all we use.  
    I've got that one too.  It's held up nicely.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Every restaurant that shucks oysters in town uses those Dexter also...
    Options
    Yup, I've got the Dexter too
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    I went through a few bushels over the years. Ended up with some wooden handled knife a restaurant in Boston recommended, and the usual goto- the Oxo

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Oyster-Knife-Handle/dp/B00004OCLC?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-iphone-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00004OCLC

Yours looks great! Would love to try one out someday..

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    +1 on the dexter.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i think my clam knives are dexter russells, most of my fillet knives are.   r murphy is a very similar company, both local to me.  needed to add a murphy to the collection. added the bar knife as well =)
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I didn't realize Dexter Russell was in Southbridge. That's only 35 miles from here! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I went through a few bushels over the years. Ended up with some wooden handled knife a restaurant in Boston recommended, and the usual goto- the Oxo..
    I have to tell you, the OXO knives are sh*t.  I bet those wooden handled ones you have look a lot better after several bushels.
    We have a lot of knives that we put out for parties and such when I get a bushel of oysters.  All the OXO knives are twisted at the tips.

I would NOT recommend these.  Any of those industrial looking knives with the solid plastic molded handles are much better, and probably cheaper.

In addition to the ones people already posted, this Carolina Oyster Knife is very good.  Have several of these and they look brand new after many oyster events.

LBGE/Maryland
  • northGAcock
    Options
    No dispute of the above mentioned.....just another resource for oyster and other seafood knives.  https://charlestonshuckerco.com/shop/

• fishlessman
    Options
    No dispute of the above mentioned.....just another resource for oyster and other seafood knives.  https://charlestonshuckerco.com/shop/
    this link brings up a different question, shrimp shucker, i cant see anyone using that to fill up one of those big boilers that nola and sgh posted, it would take days or weeks

fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    Options
    My buddy made this shucker for me...
    edited March 2018
    Options
    this link brings up a different question, shrimp shucker, i cant see anyone using that to fill up one of those big boilers that nola and sgh posted, it would take days or weeks

That is used for cutting the heads off when you purchase directly off of the Shrimp Boats. ;) As for  devein-ing the shrimp, that is really not practical for mass consumption. Peeling is easy after cooking so no real need there. This knife would be used for peeling and devein-ing shrimp for cooking shell off. Most folks will devein shrimp for salads. (editorial comment.....shrimp salad is one of my favorites. That would be cooked shrimp cut into half inch pieces, Dukes mayo, celery, chopped boiled eggs, a shot of mustard and fresh lemon juice. Sprinkle a little ol Bay on top and server over a fresh garden mator). Oh my. Sorry i digressed. 

To your comment regarding mass quantities.......i have seen processors (people) that can peel and devein a large shrimp in 2 seconds or less. Its and art.....

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    We often serve our shrimp salad over a corncake as our dinner. 
  • fishlessman
    Options

That is used for cutting the heads off when you purchase directly off of the Shrimp Boats. ;) As for  devein-ing the shrimp, that is really not practical for mass consumption. Peeling is easy after cooking so no real need there. This knife would be used for peeling and devein-ing shrimp for cooking shell off. Most folks will devein shrimp for salads. (editorial comment.....shrimp salad is one of my favorites. That would be cooked shrimp cut into half inch pieces, Dukes mayo, celery, chopped boiled eggs, a shot of mustard and fresh lemon juice. Sprinkle a little ol Bay on top and server over a fresh garden mator. Oh my. Sorry i digressed. 

To your comment regarding mass quantities.......i have seen processors (people) that can peel and devein a large shrimp in 2 seconds or less. Its and art.....
    ive seen people use those on maine shrimp, if you ever seen a maine shrimp they are tiny tiny but extremely tasty, maybe a 200 count size ;)  i would only deveine the really large ones and im not a fan of that size shrimp anyways. maine shrimping is closed for another year, must be ten years now its been cancelled
    fukahwee maine