Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

KAB Stainless VS Original

SpillinSpillin Posts: 33
So I'm about to go down for a KAB and my only question is it worth the extra money for the stainless steel version?

Thanks!
LG BGE
Weber Genisis
Cold IPA on tap!

Comments

• GATravellerGATraveller Posts: 5,431
    I've been debating whether or not the KAB itself is worth the money.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • milesvdustinmilesvdustin Posts: 1,300
    I have a high que style grate. I got it on amazon for 15 bucks. I think its onlyfire brand. Its stainless and stout. 9” size for large egg 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Akorn Jr

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• RRPRRP Posts: 22,055
    edited March 9
    Probably, but suit yourself. I have had the steel KABs in my small and large eggs for several years now and other than some minor rust spots here and there they are fine. I believe I'll get plenty more years out of them. BTW I really do like mine!
    L, M, S, &  Mini
    And oh yes...also a 17" BlackStone gas fired griddle! 
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    Re- gasketing AMERICA one yard at a time!
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 16,940
    The lump lasts twice as long in the SS KAB :wink:
    I have the original in the LG & MM. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • saluki2007saluki2007 Posts: 3,796
    I've been debating whether or not the KAB itself is worth the money.
    Agreed to an extent.  I have one for my small but not my large.  Didn't see the need/point of one for the large.  The small has a small bottom vent which makes getting the ash out tough.  With the KAB I can just lift and suck out with the Vac.
    Large and Small BGE
    Morton, IL

• SpillinSpillin Posts: 33
    Thanks! @NPHuskerFL ; I've heard that the properties of SS due tend to keep lump longer!
    LG BGE
    Weber Genisis
    Cold IPA on tap!
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 10,539
    Spillin said:
    Thanks! @NPHuskerFL ; I've heard that the properties of SS due tend to keep lump longer!
    Properties schmoperties! It’s Magic!