Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sliced pork butt in less than three hours.

Options
epcotisbest
epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
edited March 2018 in EggHead Forum
My wife picked up a smallish boneless Boston butt that was just a tad shy of five pounds. I decided to turbo it to 185 then slice it to try something different than my traditional pulled pork. I like sliced pork just fine.
Once the white smoke cleared and the temp stabilized at 325, I put it on at 9:35 a.m. planning on it taking probably 5-6 hours. Got busy during the middle of the cook and noticed the temp had climbed on me up to 370. Not sure how long it was at that temp, but I bumped it back down and settled around 300. There was no stall and this thing hit 185 at 12:30 p.m. so just less than three hours by five minutes. Took it off and wrapped it in foil for about an hour and we ate a late lunch instead of an early dinner. It was very moist, tender and seemed to have rendered out just the right amount of fat. Not much of a smoke ring, but the Weber Coffee Rub and apple wood chips created a nice bark.
I was surprised it reached slicing temp so soon and thought it might not be tender, but boy was I wrong. This was very good and will try to duplicate these results again.

Comments