Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beans

Options
Any suggestions for a good chipotle bean recipe? Have a family get together Sunday doing burgers and dogs and would like to add some spicy beans to the meal. 

Comments

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @g8golfer I am trying these this weekend.  Beans.  You can improvise it I am sure. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,173
    Options
    I tried something simple and delicious recently. Soaked some plain ole pinto beans overnight then rinsed them well and put in a pot with about 8 cups of water and a leftover ham bone. Slow simmered them all day. About an hour before serving time I got out about a half cup of beans, mashed them up and added them back to the pot as a thickener, added a small diced onion and about a 1/4 cup Tiger Sauce and let it go for another hour on slow simmer.
    Very good, not overly seasoned. No photos so it did not really happen, but if I had taken photos, it would have went this way.
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Thanks appreciate the info 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I started with this recipe, and substituted in some Chipotle powder. I know Pineapple in beans sounds strange, but trust me - it works. You can adjust the Chipotle and jalapeños to your desired heat level. I also cut the brown sugar in half and added in the same amount of pure maple syrup. 

https://www.langbbqsmokers.com/blog/dutchs-wicked-baked-beans/
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I tried something simple and delicious recently. Soaked some plain ole pinto beans overnight then rinsed them well and put in a pot with about 8 cups of water and a leftover ham bone. Slow simmered them all day. About an hour before serving time I got out about a half cup of beans, mashed them up and added them back to the pot as a thickener, added a small diced onion and about a 1/4 cup Tiger Sauce and let it go for another hour on slow simmer.
    Very good, not overly seasoned. No photos so it did not really happen, but if I had taken photos, it would have went this way.
    @epcotisbest, If you want to speed this up (by about a day =)), cook 'em in a pressure cooker. No overnight soak, just rinse, drain and into the PC. Cover with about two inches of water, add 2 tsp onion pwdr, 1 tsp cumin, 2 tsp chili pwdr, 1/2 tsp pepper and your ham bone. 

Bring it to high pressure and then cook for 30 minutes (maybe a little longer with an electric PC like the Instant Pot) and allow pressure to release on it's own. I've never added Tiger sauce or mashed beans, but you could still do that after the cook. Probably add some salt after as well.

Tender, but not mushy, great flavor, mostly whole beans thought some do split. Give it a try!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Try playing with this one:
    Chili, Beef, Beans, Richard Fl

This recipe is a blend  of different ones, from KennyG, Egret, Blue Smoke and The Skyline Chili Chain Miami, '70's and my own ideas..  Thanks to all.

INGREDIENTS:
    First Cook:
    3 1/4 Lbs Chuck, Ground Twice Course
    2 Lbs House Brand (Publix) Mild Sausage
    3/4 Lb Bacon, Thick Cut, Hormel, Black Label, Diced
    Second Cook:
    5 Cups Onions, White/Red, Chopped
    2 Cups Bell Peppers, Yellow, Chopped
    3 Tbs Garlic, Fresh Crushed
    Add Rest:
    2 1 3/8 Ozs Pkg Old El Paso Chili Seasoning
    1 12 Ozs Can La Costeña Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce, Pureed
    9 Cups Fresh, Tomatoes, Pureed
    1 28 Ozs Can Diced Tomatoes
    1 14 1/2 Ozs Can Diced Tomatoes
    1 10 Ozs Can Rotel, Hot
    2 4 1/2 Ozs Can Old El Paso Chopped Green Chili
    2 Tbs Indian River Pepper Blend
    2 Tbs Indian River Seasoning Salt
    1 Bunch Cilantro, Chopped
    2 Tbs Cocoa Powder, Hot, Godiva
    2 Tbs Cumin, Ground
    2 15 1/2 Ozs Can Red Kidney Beans, Habichuelas Colorado
    2 15 1/2 Ozs Can Pink Kidney Beans, Habichuelas Rosada
    1 Stick Butter
    2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 Cup Red Wine, Cabernet Sauvignon
    Use Broth if dry:
    2 14 Ozs Can Beef Broth, Swanson
    Smoke:
    Applewood Chunks & Hickory Chips
    Equiptment:
    9 Quart Dutch Oven

Procedure:

1. Because of a time constraint the meat, and everything was done on the stove. After everything was in the DO and boiling, I placed in BGE.

2. Take a 9 quart dutch oven and cook the beef, sausage and bacon in the pot stirring every 5-10 minutes, covered, about 25 minutes. When done, remove and drain.

3. Take the onions, bell peppers and garlic and sauté until translucent.

4. Add the tomatoes and remaining ingredients except beans and beef broth, and bring to a boil. Add the meat back into the pot and stir. Add the spices and stir until blended. Now add the beans, drained.

5. The Large BGE had been set with a tjv spider, high position, direct and the temperature was 350°F. for the first hour. Then dropped to 275°F for the last 3 hours, It is still cooking 4 hours later. Maybe I will shut down the BGE after 6-7 hours and leave the dutch oven over night. Sounds like a plan!
    Had some applewood pieces and hickory chips for flavor.

6. Been cooking for 4 hours and still going. Added the beef broth and liquid from the beans toward the end as I needed to keep the chili moist.

7. After 6 1/2 hours on the BGE, I added a second can of beef broth, left the Dutch Oven on the BGE and shut the entire system down. Went to the SPA and decided I will deal with this situation in the AM. Good Night Richard. Just got up and checked the pot, still warm and the BEST chili I have made in 40+ years.

8. Am serving with raspberry cornbread muffins.

Yield: 9 Quarts

Cooking Times
    Preparation Time: 1 hour
    Cooking Time: 4 hours

Recipe Type: Beef, Dutch Oven, Main Dish

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2008/01/18*

Author Notes
    Had a few stray tamales from a cuban restaurant the other day, so I tossed them in to add flavor and thickness with the masa.

2008/03/05---Food Network was doing chili and they added a batch of cashews.  Sounds good.  Richard Fl

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,173
    Options
    @epcotisbest, If you want to speed this up (by about a day =)), cook 'em in a pressure cooker. No overnight soak, just rinse, drain and into the PC. Cover with about two inches of water, add 2 tsp onion pwdr, 1 tsp cumin, 2 tsp chili pwdr, 1/2 tsp pepper and your ham bone. 

Bring it to high pressure and then cook for 30 minutes (maybe a little longer with an electric PC like the Instant Pot) and allow pressure to release on it's own. I've never added Tiger sauce or mashed beans, but you could still do that after the cook. Probably add some salt after as well.

Tender, but not mushy, great flavor, mostly whole beans thought some do split. Give it a try!

Thanks. We have discussed getting one of those instant pots but have not done so yet. My wife thought it might be another kitchen device that winds up in the attic with a bunch of other stuff.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options

Trying this now with the IP.  Should go well with Sliders and corn tonight!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    smbishop said:
    If you want to speed this up (by about a day =)), cook 'em in a pressure cooker. No overnight soak, just rinse, drain and into the PC. Cover with about two inches of water, add 2 tsp onion pwdr, 1 tsp cumin, 2 tsp chili pwdr, 1/2 tsp pepper and your ham bone. 

Trying this now with the IP.  Should go well with Sliders and corn tonight!
    @smbishop, Hope it works for you, Scott. Would hate to recommend something that sucked. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• smbishop
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @Carolina Q 
    Perfection, thank you for sharing!

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    @smbishop, Awesome! Was 30 minutes at pressure enough, or did you have to go longer?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• smbishop
    Options
    I went 35 with the IP.  Also, it was 1/2 a bag, so I 1/2'd the ingredient and maybe a bit too much water, but it didn't matter.  Thanks again!

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Love it! Thanks for the update!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Everyone likes their own brand.