Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

anybody want to share their favorite recipe for Peruvian Chicken?

2»

Comments

• This is a receipe that I cut and pasted to a an email for a friend.  We both love the results.  Not my recipe, and i don't know who Todd is, but it was a forum post on a thread at some time.

PERUVIAN SPATCHCOCK CHICKEN chicken
    Todd’s version of the above three recipes -

1 3-4 lbs. chicken
    2 tablespoons paprika
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves

2 tablespoon olive oil
    2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
    2 tablespoons white wine
    2 tablespoons white vinegar
    3 cloves garlic, minced

Mix dry ingredients above.  Add to wet ingredients.
    Reserve 1/2 Tbsp of the dry rub to season the chicken before cooking.

Spatchcock the chicken!
    Wash chicken thoroughly with lemon water (juice of one lemon mixed with qt. of cold water) and remove excess fat from inside chicken.
    With a large carving fork, poke deep holes all over chicken, including under wings. 
    Rub the marinade thoroughly inside and outside the chicken. (From both edges of cavity, loosen skin from breasts and thighs, being careful not to tear skin. Using your fingers, gently spread 2 heaping Tbsp. spice mixture under skin.)
    Season chicken all over with additional 1 tsp. salt
    Seal chicken in a large plastic bag and marinate for at least 2 hours (but preferably up to 24 hours) in refrigerator.

Light the egg, allow plenty of time to stabilize to 375.

Dilute marinade left behind in bag with a Tablespoon of water.  Place marinade in a small saucepan, bring to a boil and simmer 2-3 minutes. Set aside. You'll use this for basting.

Season bird with remaining dry rub.  (the 1/2 Tbsp set aside yesterday)
    Place spatchcocked bird on grill, raised direct.

Roast chicken 20 minutes, then brush with marinade. Baste quickly to avoid flair ups that will burn chicken.
    Continue roasting, basting every 20 minutes, 
    (I only did this once because after the 20 minute baste, it took over 5-10 minutes to get my stabilized 375 egg back on track.)

After an hour, my two birds were at 155 in the breast and 170 in the thighs.   So I did something I don’t normally do, which was flip them over.  Skin looked good but it seemed like a good opportunity to brown it further.  And since I had her open anyway, I did one last baste to both sides.

Cooked for additional 10 minutes, checked temp, removed birds.   
    Cook until juices run clear when thigh is pierced with a fork or an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 165ºF
    Rest and quarter!

THE VERDE SAUCE!!!

I made this after I lit the egg. (while it was coming up to temp)

This verde sauce is EXCELLENT!  It is better than anything I've had out or tried to make at home before.  I posted some earlier verde sauces that were 90% there...but this one is 110%. It has the right combo of heat, freshness, and herbal flavor.

I used the recipe from 
    THIS page.  I didn't use their chicken recipe (although the marinade is pretty close).  It is cut and pasted below;

• For the Sauce:
    • 3 whole jalapeño chilies, roughly chopped (see note above)
    • 1 tablespoon aji amarillo pepper paste (see note above)
    • 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
    • 2 medium cloves garlic
    • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
    • 1/4 cup sour cream
    • 2 teaspoons fresh juice from 1 lime
    • 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
    • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

I used it exactly as above except I doubled the lime, added more cilantro, and a little less mayo.

For the Sauce: Combine jalapeños, aji amarillo (if using), cilantro, garlic, mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice, and vinegar in the jar of a blender. Blend on high speed, scraping down as necessary, until smooth. With blender running, slowly drizzle in olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sauce will be quite loose at this point but will thicken as it sits. Transfer to a sealed container and refrigerate until ready to use.

This Aji Amarillo sauce may have been the key!  I didn't try it by itself to see if it was spicy.  BUT, now I have an entire jar of it that I have to figure out a use for.  Any suggestions?
    httpmediafotkicom1_prtswbsdtbbrdfrsxrgkfqwtgrqbdvibrqggwgwsxbsbqfkqtdxbskdqqwdg166668113124706FullSizeRender26-vijpg
    httpmediafotkicom1_prtswbsddwqgwtwsxrgkfqwtgrqbdvibrqsqrkstxbsfgbftkkxbsgbrssfg166668113124706FullSizeRender41-vijpg
    Let it chill in the fridge until the chicken was done.
    httpmediafotkicom1_prtswbggssktdftwxrgkfqwtgrqbdvibrqsqrkstxbsfsskdbqxbsgbrssfg166668113124706FullSizeRender46-vijpg
    I can't stress enough how great that sauce is!

Earlier recipes I tried were too creamy.  A lot of times when I have it out it is not balanced.  I'm not sure how long this will last in the fridge, but it's going on my eggs, sandwiches, leftovers, you name it.  I may try it in my coffee tomorrow morning

South Buffalo, New York
  • At our local Eggiest a couple weeks ago, Dizzy Pig made an appearance, and had some chicken with the Peruvianish out to sample.  I was very impressed, but what impressed me even more was the fact that my 6 year old devoured pretty much all of the chicken they had with the Peruvianish on it.  He is not one for spice, so I was impressed, as was the rest of the Dizzy Pig crew.  Thankfully I was able to take home a bottle.  It is his favorite rub and the best way for us to get him to eat his chicken dinners.
    Large BGE - Thanks Knob Creek

Louisville, KY
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/peruvian-style-roast-chicken-with-tangy-green-sauce

I haven’t scoured the other comments to see if someone else posted this one , but this recipe is bananas good.  I made it in a cast iron skillet, cooking indirect on the Egg, instead of the oven.  Its a bit messy, but it’s incredible. 

Everything is good as well...the cucumber salad and the green sauce.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• tried this combo & was a big hit with fam

Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009