Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Crawfish Boil

McStewMcStew Posts: 928
Living in Los Angeles we don't have many options so I want to do a boil at home.  Any suggestions for a good online place to purchase live crawfish such as Louisianan Crawfish Co. ?  
Thanks in advance 
Marina Del Rey CA 

Comments

• La crawfish company is solid. I’ve ordered from them many times. I even ordered from them twice when in Colorado and they showed up in good shape and I lost less than 10% of them

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• buzd504buzd504 Posts: 2,603
    I've used cajungrocer.com with some success.
    NOLA
  • McStewMcStew Posts: 928
    Ok I went with LA Crawfish Co. However I am now confused and need help.  Can someone explain the difference between LA and Texas boils.  I think I have a preference but all recipes online look the same from what I remember they taste different.
    Marina Del Rey CA 
  • RajunCajunRajunCajun Posts: 588
    Sounds like a good time in the works!  Well, certainly the accents are different.  
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem.
  • @McStew PM sent

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 1,416
    Botch said:
    I think with Texas boils you have to wear a bigger belt buckle.
    And socks.  

Pics of the final feast, please!  
    And a cowboy hat.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 27,868
    I've never heard of Texas boil.

Here's what you want:  1 jar of Zatarain's Pro Boil or a gallon of liquid boil concentrate and 1 jar of regular Zatarain's boil.   Louisiana brand is fine also.

You should be able to buy this online from a bunch of stores.

The Maryland boils are overwhelmingly celery flavored, not the Louisiana taste. 

Example

Yesterday I ordered one of these

https://neworleans.craigslist.org/grd/d/fabricated-crawfish-boilers/6515392076.html

The guy said he will have mine ready to pick up on Friday evening.  He builds boats during M-Th and these on F and Sat. This will cook two sacks plus vegetables, or three sacks of just crawfish.  Marine aluminum construction, will last a lifetime.

• Yesterday I ordered one of these

https://neworleans.craigslist.org/grd/d/fabricated-crawfish-boilers/6515392076.html

The guy said he will have mine ready to pick up on Friday evening.  He builds boats during M-Th and these on F and Sat. This will cook two sacks plus vegetables, or three sacks of just crawfish.  Marine aluminum construction, will last a lifetime.

Looks like a good design, please provide some feedback on performance,

Who cooks crawfish without vegetables?
    XL, 2-Lg, Mini, 36" Blackstone (Formerly CM23)
  • Yesterday I ordered one of these

Let me know how you like it once you take it around the block, might have to go see him too.
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yesterday I ordered one of these

Looks like a good design, please provide some feedback on performance,

Who cooks crawfish without vegetables?
    I will report fully on it.

Yeah, pretty much everyone cooks them with vegetables...I suppose if you are working two boilers you might separate them out depending on the cook times.

The most crawfish I've cooked in one day is about 500 pounds.  I've done that a couple times at a festival.  This should come in handy because it's huge.