Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New band design is a winner

I have had serious alignment issues, and was able to get a new set of bands under warranty. I finally installed them last week, along w/ a Rutland gasket on my Large Egg.

While the new design doesn't let the lid open quite as much, as many others have noted, I really like the new spring set up and the overall seal and fit. The spring assist is just a bit less than the old design so that spring are under less tension when the lid is down. This lets the full weight of the lid sit down on the gasket for a really solid seal. I think with the original design the lid wasn't ever fully resting on the base. It takes a bit more effort to raise the lid, but I actually like the heft now.

I can't compare now, but the fully open height is probably 1-1.5 inches less than the original design. I don't think this will be much of an issue except when I run a raised grid high in the dome, but I don't do that too often. So if you are having alignment issues or trouble getting a good seal, the new bands may be worth it for you.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC

Comments