Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Come on baby light my FIRE!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
A few years back there was a topic about using EVERCLEAR grain alcohol for "instant lighting" a BGE. I bought a half gallon of that, used it once which about scared the living sh*t out of me and then that bottle went into the back of the broom closet!

Tonight I was busy and thought "oh boy - I need an accelorater to get my egg going". 

I poured some EVERCLEAR into a squirt bottle and WOW - STAND BACK NONE BELIEVERS!!! I had a HOT BGE as soon as the blue flames went out!

ONLY warning is WATCH OUT!!!...but there was NO after taste like a petroleum product.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• FlyOverCountry
    Options
    Goodness grayshush great balls of Fire!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • baychilla
    Options
    Pity we can't get the real Everclear in California.  Since Bacardi pulled its 151 its getting harder to find anything that you could drink but would rather use as a fuel.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    baychilla said:
    Pity we can't get the real Everclear in California.  Since Bacardi pulled its 151 its getting harder to find anything that you could drink but would rather use as a fuel.
    Your nanny state is taking care of you 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    baychilla said:
    Sucks when your shot can’t be flaming.  ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    How do you drink a flaming Dr. Pepper without 151 and a flame?

Everclear is (or at least used to be) 190 proof. A little goes a long way when lighting it. Can you get 90% rubbing alcohol from the pharmacy in Commiefornia?
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• baychilla
    Options
    I can't recall the rubbing alcohol level but the Everclear sold in California is 151.  The other states I believe get the full 190.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Ron, that's alcohol abuse.  At least redeem yourself and pour what remains into a watermelon and consume. :grin:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    The rubbing alcohol I get is 90%. I never thought it did a great job as a charcoal accelerant, but maybe I wasn't adding enough.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I'll have to try the 90% from the drugstore. Will surely be cheaper than this Everclear  sold as booze. Btw my bottle of napalm is 95% alcohol by volume and 190 proof.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    RRP said:
    I'll have to try the 90% from the drugstore. Will surely be cheaper than this Everclear  sold as booze. Btw my bottle of napalm is 95% alcohol by volume and 190 proof.
    i would be making limoncello with that ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Ron, that's alcohol abuse.  At least redeem yourself and pour what remains into a watermelon and consume. :grin:
    Brings back faint memories of Trash Can Punch back in the day.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    We made it in bathtubs and called it Hooch. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.