Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: yo, DWFII :OT

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
Yo, @DWFII, my good man. How's the rehab of your BGE coming along? Getting any closer? What's still missing?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Ron,

Thank you for thinking of me. I wish I had something...anything...to report. But it has been cold and snowy here and frankly, I have no place to take apart the Egg except my lawn. 

I purchased an abrasive wheel and some of that copper cement/sealant you recommend. I also purchased a new firebox.

I have a platesetter that is chipped on one of the legs  (but otherwise usable...esp. with a refractory or kiln cement repair) and a used/cracked fire ring. A couple of the Egghead forum members sent me a new set of bands and a new handle. About the only thing I'm missing is the cooking grid. I am not really too worried about that...they're cheap enough at Lowes I think, and plenty of time to get one. I hope to be able to fire it up and do a "cleaning" burn before I need a grid.

On the "wish list" is an ash scraper and a woo or something to get my grid high enough to access a pizza stone (maybe also on the wish list).

The only other thing I need is some nice weather and time...I have a student coming in this next month (March) and April tends to be wet around here. I am hoping to begin the refurb in May and be cooking by June at the latest. I have to say that taking the dome off, to clean off the old gasket and install the new hinge band and align the dome with the base, is the thing that worries me the most. The member that sent me the bands sent me a link to a website with  instructions on how to replace the bands. I just need time and space to gather my wits and my energy to do this. Am also hoping my son-in-law will come around at a good time so that he can help me lift the dome off. I'm too old and boogered-up to do it myself...at least safely. 

I have mentioned or alluded to your generosity several times in recent postings but have held off on mentioning you by name...I am sure that you don't want others to get the wrong idea or take advantage. When it is all done I will certainly give thanks and credit to those who were so forthcoming...unless they ask me not to.

Thank again for keeping in touch.
    Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    With over 100 hits in less than 2 hours then you know the forum members are interested in your progress! As for an ash tool any piece of metal scrap strap will do! All you need to do is bend a right angle at the end.

As far as pizza goes all you need to do is take that plate sitter and put it in with the legs up, then place your yet to get grill on top of them and then put the stone on the grill. That is sufficient height above the rim of the base for easy ingress and egress of a pizza! 

As for a cleaning burn, while you need not worry about damaging your new Rutland I personally would not go above say 500 degrees since you still don't know what lies under the baked on crud underneath that green outer shell.

Let's stay in touch!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Would love to see some pics of this rehab...
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • DWFII
    edited February 2018
    Options
    RRP said:
    With over 100 hits in less than 2 hours then you know the forum members are interested in your progress! As for an ash tool any piece of metal scrap strap will do! All you need to do is bend a right angle at the end.

As far as pizza goes all you need to do is take that plate sitter and put it in with the legs up, then place your yet to get grill on top of them and then put the stone on the grill. That is sufficient height above the rim of the base for easy ingress and egress of a pizza! 

As for a cleaning burn, while you need not worry about damaging your new Rutland I personally would not go above say 500 degrees since you still don't know what lies under the baked on crud underneath that green outer shell.

Let's stay in touch!

Sorry, I thought this was private mail...didn't realize it was in Off Topic. This is, frankly, kind of a weird forum...or at least not like I'm used to (and I'm the Webmaster and Admin for my Guild's forum)...so I hope you don't mind me having mentioned your generosity.

Thanks for the tips.

@Jeremiah I will be sure to post photos of the refurb when I get it done. Don't get your hopes up too high, however--I am a newbie to kamados in general and this one was/is in sad shape.

I tried cleaning the outside of the Egg, figuring it would brighten and polish up a little but the glaze is dull and won't shine at all.

It also has a hairline crack in it and I'm like Carlos Zaragoza in the song Gallo del Cielo, who "fears the tiny crack that runs across his rooster's beak." And the wheels on the nest are old and reluctant. I worry about just wheeling it off the patio stones and up onto the lawn.

But I can't just trash it. So...I suspect I'll be unreasonably proud when it's done. And happy to have a Big Green Egg--something I've wanted for a long, long time..

Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=13&v=w2PUuTdei7k

Instagram
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Dude I have one from Japan that an American service man brought home on his way back from Vietnam in 1968. It doesn't get uglier than that thing. Let's see this thing! 
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Dude I have one from Japan that an American service man brought home on his way back from Vietnam in 1968. It doesn't get uglier than that thing. Let's see this thing! 
    This earlier thread from @DWFII here:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1211038/wtb-lg-bge-parts#latest
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Thanks @SamIAm2, @DWFII that's not a bad looking egg at all!! Build that thing up and let's cook something!!!
  • DWFII
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Thanks @SamIAm2, @DWFII that's not a bad looking egg at all!! Build that thing up and let's cook something!!!
    I have hopes...
    Instagram