Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dumb@$$ me broke my plate setter

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
Setting up an indirect cook and I dropped the grid with the raised post on it onto the plate setter and broke it. The post broke from a one foot fall. Had to quickly rig an alternative indirect solution. Turkey breast is now on. 
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Been there, JB Weld will fix this, and as stated just above me - time for a Woo. You'll never touch your PS again. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Sounds like a good reason to go all the way and get the AR and stone. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,344
    Options
    Here's the link to your forum driven buy:
    https://ceramicgrillstore.com  If you have any questions, give 'em a call and you will get solid answers.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,045
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up.  There are two ConEggverters out there.  Broken, and gonna be broken.

Go with the Woo and never look back.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
    Options
    It says JB Weld can stand up to 550
    degrees. That won’t last on a pizza
    cook. 
    Member since 2009
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    AR and stone are now justifiable to SWMBO.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    I still don't get the logic...  I have an XL Adjustable Rig and cut off the vertical legs of the platesetter to fit.  I like the extra surface area the horizontal leg pieces add (similar as the oval stone).

If it broke, I'd buy another BGE platesetter as it has a 5 year warranty (I believe) and chances are that I would break it again in that time period.  
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I am in agreement with the AR Setup from Ceramic Grill Store. I have a cracked plated setter and a new one in the box. I use the Woo or spider with Pizza stone from CGS.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    If that's a large, PM me your address... I'll send you another platesetter (over 20 years old but hasn't been used in the last 7 or so since I got my PSWoo).

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

Options
    If that's a large, PM me your address... I'll send you another platesetter (over 20 years old but hasn't been used in the last 7 or so since I got my PSWoo).

Very generous of you, but I just bought a new one from my local restaurant supply store. 

I'm gonna cut the old one up and fashion it into a half round indirect stone.  Been wanting one of those anyway.
    Member since 2009
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    I still don't get the logic...  I have an XL Adjustable Rig and cut off the vertical legs of the platesetter to fit.  I like the extra surface area the horizontal leg pieces add (similar as the oval stone).

If it broke, I'd buy another BGE platesetter as it has a 5 year warranty (I believe) and chances are that I would break it again in that time period.  
    It's a three year warranty on the Plate Setter.  I am on my third and my dealer said that it is a three year warranty and that would probably be my last one under warranty a year ago. If this one breaks I will be getting the AR and Woo combo.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
    Options
    Back in business. Will make a half round stone out of the broken one. 
    Member since 2009
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    That don't look right all clean and everything - get that thing seasoned with some pork and beef fat drippings ASAP!!! =)=)=)=);)=)
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • AintEZbeingme
    Options
    A coupla years ago, got a platesetter for Christmas. Began gathering gifts to move to another room, picked up boxes, setter slides out, hits floor----> breaks in half.  Used some Christmas cash to get another one -- this time a cast iron one
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE