Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Any Fender Custom Shop Owners Out There?!

Options
(With a Gibson thread going around, I thought it only fair to show some love for Fender as well.).....

Have recently had a hankering for a Custom Shop Strat. Because I’m obsessive about the condition of my gear, a relic’d guitar holds appeal, in the sense that I’ll never have to worry about putting a scratch or dent in it. Very, very, very (did I say “very”?) liberating in that sense, even though I don’t deem it to be the most aesthetically pleasing of guitars.  

I know there are great alternatives out there, such as Suhr (awesome!!) or Anderson, but I’m asking specifically about experiences with Custom Shop Strats. 

Any owners out there?! Opinions? I’m looking at sinking fairly big money into this. (Background: This ain’t my first rodeo, as I own several high end guitars.)

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I think G&L actually makes better guitars for the money.  They have a custom shop too. 

https://glguitars.com/customshop/

My buddy has over 100 collectable guitars, many from the Fender custom shop.  Wish I had some pics, some real unique stuff.

Options
    Personally, the value of a CS to me is in the personal touch - literally speaking.  I’ve visited the shop in Corona and believe that the “hands on” aspect is extremely valuable to a collector, fan, guitar lover, etc.  The fit and finish is second to none.  Resale (I never sell any of my guitars) is always excellent with others.  Not so much with some other brands.  At the end of the day, it’s still a Fender Strat.  My American Standards get more play time.  If my standards ever got nicked up or stolen, yeah, I’d freak out - probably even more so with the CS instruments.  Every guitarist has an opinion on relics.  I have a high amount of respect for the luthiers that can pull of the magic of distressing a brand new instrument to make it feel like a broke in pair of shoes.  Not my thing though...   I’d rather do the breaking in.  That’s part of the fun and connection of a “new” guitar to me. 
    XLBGE, SS table
    McKinney, TX.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I have a CS Strat and a CS Nocaster. Both are in the NOS finish format. Both are exceptional guitars. I wouldn’t waste my money on a relic. They are stage props for players trying to buy street cred. Add the wear yourself. Play the daylights out of it. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Fender made some serious garbage in the CBS days.