Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brunswick Stew

Options
So, I have a hankerin' for brunswick stew.  Was thinking of roasting several whole chickens and a pork shoulder on the BGE.  I've actually never cooked brunswick stew before.  Any eggers out there care to offer any sage advice or recipes?  

Thanks!  

JJ

Comments

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Did this one a couple of years ago. Recipe is from Southern Soul BBQ, St Simons Island, GA, By way of The Washington Post.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1196282/brunswick-stew

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SouthGaSmoker
    Options
    Did this one a couple of years ago. Recipe is from Southern Soul BBQ, St Simons Island, GA, By way of The Washington Post.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1196282/brunswick-stew
    Had Southern Soul Brunswick Stew yesterday for lunch.  Great BBQ there.
    St. Mary's, GA
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Leave out the Lima beans and you have a winner

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    it ain't brunswick stew without those butterbeans as we call limas.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    @billt01 sent me some and it was FANTASTIC!  He may share his recipe with you.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • chupacabra
    Options
    I love making stew. Anytime I have leftover chicken, brisket and pork I vacuum seal it and save it for when I make stew. Usually making 4-5 gallons at a time.
    Marietta, Ga
    I feel bad for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    Stew is super easy...Set on low..stir ~ every hour for a few minutes... cook for ~8 to 10 hrs..

Recipe below:

4 28oz cans of fire roasted tomatoes
    1 bag of shoepeg corn (Silver queen)
    3 Cans of Creamed corn
    Vinegar to taste, I like a little more than some Between 3 and 4 tblsp's
    ~ 2 quarts of that sauce you have
    ~ 1 lb of Brisket
    ~ 2 lbs of BBQ pulled pork 
    1 whole smoked chicken (cooked until fall off the bone)

heat up the tomatoes, corn, sauce, vinegar..then throw in the proteins..

If its too thick, you can thin it out with a couple cans of water...

For the brisket, I used McKormick's Montreal steak seasoning mixed with Byron's butt rub..

Chicken, I just use a chicken rub I have lying around the house and some mayonaise..

And the pork, I inject with apple juice, honey, and Vinegar, I coat with blended apple pie filling then dust with Byron's Butt rub.then smoke to about 195..

I must be honest, I did not take the extra time to put in the "pork butt jelly" into the pot, but the last batch I did...

it was a flavor game changer... 
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    more a texture thing, i dont like stringy pulled pork in mine, i coarse grind the pulled pork for the stew
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Kevinboatright
    Options
    Anyone ever add in sausage to their Brunswick Stew? 
    Atlanta, GA 

LBGE, Mini-Max, Mini, 1995 BGE Chiminea, 22" Blackstone, Weber Genesis E-310. 
  • jjessup532
    Options
    Thanks everyone, just the information I was looking for.  Eggers are the best!
  • nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Options
    My grandfather owned a restaurant in Atlanta in the 50's called The Green Fly Inn and their specialty was brunswick stew and something called a stew burger which was a griddled buger with grilled onions covered in brunswick stew. 

I have the stew recipe but honestly it's not great.  Uses a lot of nutrasweet.