Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flame boss / bad smoke question

Options
I got up this morning and lit my large egg. Added chunks of wood for smoke, then stabilized the egg at 250. Waited about a half hour then put on twin 5lb pork shoulders.
As we all know when you add 10lbs of meat to the grill it will drop the temp inside the egg for a while before returning to the desired temperature. In this instance, I have the FB set to 250 and it is "Fanning the fire" to get the egg back to temp. This is producing alot of smoke lasting around 20 mins. My concern is that the smoke being created by this is not the nice "low slow" smoke I'm looking for but rather a bad smoke from stirring the coals. I'm considering next time letting the egg come back to temp on its own then turning in the FB.
Thoughts?

Comments

• chuckytheegghead
    Options
    I personally would not. I usually fire up the egg and let flameboss bring it up to temperature then throw the meat on. If you’re concerned with the smoke, give it the sniff test. It should be good to go at your temp of 250 stabilized.