Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What sorts of Fuel

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am contemplating purchasing a BGE, having seen one in the store. Of course, this was love at first sight. Though, never having seen one used, I have a question about fuel. Can you cook with wood, not charcoal? I ask this because I almost exclusively use wood on my trusty, yet aging Webber. The flavor is amazing and well worth the time & effort. I would hate to fork out for the BGE, only to find I have to use charcoal, proprietary charcoal at that. [p]Are there any fuel constraints with the BGE?[p]Thanks in advance,
SkunkJuice

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    SkunkJuice,
    If you can do it on a Webber - you can do it with the Egg. I have never tried it because the 100% pure lump charcoal we all use is so much more convenient to use. The closed environment of the Egg allows use to use woods for flavoring - just as you do with using the wood coals in your Webber. The big difference is that we might use 2-4 golf ball sized chunks for a real heavy smoky flavor. Adding no woods still produces a nice "grilled" flavor from the hardwood lump used. There are many things you can do with the Egg - pizza, breads, pork, steaks, jerky, brisket, etc. Well worth the money for one!![p]Tim

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    SkunkJuice,
    I agree with Tim...if you can do it on your weber, the egg uses the same basic principle of air. Would love to hear more about this. I would like to try it.[p]How do you do it on your weber?? Start the fire and burn it to coals? The only difficulty on the egg might be adding new wood...you have to pull off the grate (or have a trap door in the grate!).[p]Keep us posted please.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ