Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where do you get your BGE inspiration?

Options
2»

Comments

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    @TheToast - I feel your pain. I've had my BGE for about 18 months. I've cooked all the usual suspects a number of times.

Of late I've been experimenting with cuts of beef and pork that are off the beaten path (for me). Recently I've done Sirloin Cap Steaks and will be trying out Tri-Tip and Flat Iron Steak. It keeps things fresh.

I got a whole pork loin and carved it up into chops and small roasts to try out different brines and marinades. I've been working on my rib technique too, trying different rubs and wrapping techniques.

Like @caliking above, I look for international recipes that call for a rustic grilling or roasting technique. I've done roasted cauliflower as you note above and it's delicious. We recently did roasted carrots and parsnips and it was a wonderful side dish. I'll be doing some more experimentation with veggies.

Cold weather presents some challenges, as the social aspect of the cook (sitting on the deck sipping and enjoying the sounds and smells) is stifled a bit when there's two feet of snow. I have an easier time when it's warm.

When all else fails, I let her cook (she's good at it). Inspiration will eventually come.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Eoin said:
    When it's cold and dark outside in the evening, it's hard to get motivated to cook outdoors.
    I respectfully disagree, sir ... but I have one of these which does help :)

These aren't as effective at my house this time of year.

Michiana, South of the border.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    TheToast said:
    I cook a lot of casserole / one pot dishes but don't see the benefit of cooking those on the BGE when they turn out really well on the hob / oven. I appreciate beans and gravy taste loads better on the BGE - I imagine because they absorb the smoke

Love cooking Mexican too. I've not tried carnitas on the BGE before - normally do those on the hob 
    You are correct that many things we can cook on the BGE turn out equally well on the stove top or in the oven. Often the reason to use the egg is just to be outside. It might also make less mess in the house or heat up the kitchen less. 
    Sometimes the differences are subtle. I love making enchiladas on the egg. Bake indirect just like in the oven, but the cheese often picks up a hint of smoke that we enjoy. Quiche is the same way. Don’t add smoke wood - just the smoke from the lump is good enough. 
    Anyway, I just look at the egg as an alternative to my stove and oven. I choose where to cook depending on my time and mood. WHAT to cook is seldom a problem - I can cook anything I want between my eggs and wood oven. 
    Good luck.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    I'm always scouring BBQ forums and web sites for new recipes. This forum has been a treasure trove of ideas. I really enjoy cooking on my Egg and Assassin smoker, and I'm out cooking on them at least 2 to 3 times a week. My cook area is sheltered, so rain and snow is not an issue. 

When I get into a rut, I'll root through the recipes I bookmark for something different. I see a boneless leg of lamb in my near future.  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I’m finding my inspiration today from finally seeing the sun. It seems as if it has rained or snowed or something in between for weeks now. Chicken thighs with probably some bacon wrapped shrimp for a starter. The rest is up to the wife. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,631
    Options
    Start with freezer dive, google that protein, choose recipe based on what I have on hand (or what sounds good enough to warrant a trip to the store), choose how to cook, look up a few different variants on same recipe and either choose one or just kind of blend ideas from a few.  Sometimes this starts day before, sometimes the day of.  I work from home, so I can find prep time in between calls and such.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I got in a rut in the fall and started doing something when grocery shopping that got really interesting. 

I picked one thing (protein, veggie, starch, condiment, spice, etc) that I wouldn’t usually buy and wrote it down. Then I researched it, and made a meal that was out of my wheelhouse with it the following week. 

Every now and then we get a dud but we have gotten some solid dishes to add to the rotation. It also has helped my daughter broaden her palate. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Try a cast iron dutch oven dish on the Egg. They make for a fun cook, especially in the colder weather. Pot roast? Chilis of many kinds? Turkey Breast? Soups?  They also make great leftovers. It's alway fun to lift the lid and see the steam coming of the dutch oven. 

Cue Glen Campbell: I dip my cup of soup back from a gurglin' cracklin' caldron in some train yard".  

New Albany, Ohio