Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corned beef on egg?

Options
I have a 7 pound corned beef brisket that I bought at Costco. Trying to avoid traditional boiling or crockpot methods. Anyone with any experience grilling/smoking/ seasoning these ? Would appreciate your input. Thanks. 
Upstate SC
Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    There are lots of discussions around here on this subject.  Search for Pastrami and you will see what you need.

You might also start with reading the discussion:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/home-made-pastrami-recipe-thats-close-katzs
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    soak it in cold water atleast overnight with a few water changes.  slow smoke til tender and slice thin. for pastrami you need alot of black pepper, garlic, and some coriander seed for the rub, do not use a rub with added salt.  if you have a pressure cooker, smoke til 180/185 and steam in a pressure cooker for 20 minutes. the pressure cooker really helps for texture. points are far better than flats if you have a choice, i pick out all the points a few weeks after st pats day and freeze for a later time
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    While I own an Instant Pot I have never used it. Your recipe sounds nice and simple. What do you use for steam? Plain water, herbs and spices added, or does it make it's own liquid for steaming.

Thanks 
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    Water for steam.  There are plenty of spices on the pastrami from the smoking stage so no need to add any more during steaming.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• etherdome
    Options
    To be honest, not looking to make pastrami . Literally just want a good recipe / method for corned beef  on the grill. 
    Upstate SC
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    "Anyone with any experience grilling/smoking/ seasoning these ?"   

Pastrami is a corned beef that is smoked.  If you don't want traditional pastrami spices, you can always substitute your favorite beef rub. Just follow the process for pastrami - its tried and true. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Thanks . Will do
    Upstate SC
  • fishlessman
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    While I own an Instant Pot I have never used it. Your recipe sounds nice and simple. What do you use for steam? Plain water, herbs and spices added, or does it make it's own liquid for steaming.

Thanks 
    just water, put pastrami on rack above it, wait for steam then 20 or so minutes.  without the pressure cooker it is still good but always seems drier
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    etherdome said:
    Thanks . Will do
    dont skip the water soak stage, if you do you create a salt lick. ive done that and tossed the whole thing
    fukahwee maine

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited February 2018
    Options
    etherdome said:
    Thanks . Will do
    dont skip the water soak stage, if you do you create a salt lick. ive done that and tossed the whole thing
    Same here. I like salt, but that corned beef smoked straight up was disgustingly salty and I pitched it........a hard learned lesson. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS