Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice Appreciated — Burnt Ends Prepped in Advance?

Options
Have any of you ever smoked a whole packer brisket a coupla days ahead of time, then separated and refrigerated the point to make burnt ends later?  I wanted to make a whole packer this weekend to use the flat for chili for next week’s small group gathering. Also wanted to serve burnt ends on the side, but rather not have to do all the work on Tuesday. Wondering if it would work just as well if I cooked the brisket on Saturday or Sunday, then separated and refrigerated the point, and ultimately cubed it up and finished the burnt ends on Tuesday?  I know the flat will be fine for the chili that way, but don’t want to serve up sucky burnt ends. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA! 

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Yes in kind of way I have.  I have smoked a whole brisket, separated it when it probed like butter, let point rest 15 to 20 minutes, cubes and put back on for a few more hours for a party that day.  we had leftovers and the burnt ends were better to me.  You could do the whole thing and reheat the burnt ends to time on Tuesday.  I use a crock pot to keep my burnt ends warm or reheat them.  To me it is easier to reheat the meat candy instead of getting the egg back and going to finish them.

You can do them later as well and should be ok.  If you just want to serve the flat instead of making chili, just make sure to bring it up to at least 140 before you serve and leave it in the foil.  If you are going to do this, I would wrap it in plastic wrap them foil for storage till you cook it.  You can heat it up with the plastic wrap on it as well, it won't melt unless you are broiling it.

Good luck sounds like fun.  I like a good brisket and burnt end cook.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Here I was hoping for the pork belly burnt ends offerings...oh, well  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    I vac sealed and froze some for OTT Chili.  Thawed in the fridge for a day and they were delectable just like that.  Once they swam around in the chili for a few hours... forget about it!  But I'd think you would be fine vac seal and fridge for a couple of days, too.  Beef is fairly forgiving like that.
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    This is actually the only way I have ever cooked burnt ends (using leftover point) and they have turned out great. I cooked them on the egg for the seconds stage. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Ok thx a lot guys!  Good to know. Happy Friday. :rock_on:
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:

Geez @Dying, you are such a newbie. ;(

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Here I was hoping for the pork belly burnt ends offerings...oh, well  ;)
    @lousubcap Most mornings this week before leaving the house I quickly snarfled a pb burnt end (or two) leftover from last weekend.  Ate ‘em cold - absolutely delicious!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Dyal_SC said:

Geez @Dying, you are such a newbie. ;(
    Thx for your input, Griffen. ;) Wish there was a middle finger emoji on the forum.  Lol 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    You aren’t tailgating with the resident Deadhead are you? 
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    @northGAcock knows he is always welcome over.  ;)  He keeps trying to pawn his dog off on us though. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    @northGAcock knows he is always welcome over.  ;)  He keeps trying to pawn his dog off on us though. 
    Don’t let him fool you. He loves that dog. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Trimmed, seasoned and ready to throw on tomorrow morning. An “economically friendly” 15.5 lb Wally World packer.  ;) It’ll be my first time using Holy Cow.  Usually just go with S&P.  Can’t wait to see how it compares.  

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

We had a most Gawjus day of tailgating....but dropped the season opener 7-6. My buddies dog. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow