Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: SpaceX Falcon Heavy launch - wow!

2»

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Loved seeing the power of those rockets.  The S5 is an awesome piece of technology built and flown with computers that had no more than the power of a modern day calculator.  And to put its size into perspective, it was as tall as 11 space shuttles when sitting on the launch pad.  I think the FH wasn't quite that tall, but as has been stated, landing the boosters upright is just freakin cool. 
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Awesome video!  So unexpected as to the power and sound of those!
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,944
    Wow!  That was louder than I expected. 
    My house is about 27 miles from that landing location and I heard both booms, so yeah it was loud.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,373
    The booster landing, even in person, didn't look real!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,725
    edited February 2018
    The wifey is in Kissimmee and saw the launch from a building rooftop. She said it was awesome from halfway across the state. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,180
    edited February 2018
    What Musk's company has accomplished with his vision is amazing.

Being privatized has major advantages.  He chooses how much risk to accept.  Government funded projects do not have that luxury.  They are forced to follow all the military standards and have traceability down to the smallest washer.  SpaceX's level of traceability and standard processes is not any where near military projects.  Knowing engineers who work there, they are operated much like projects in the early days of rocketry .... make it up as you go and make changes on the fly.

This is the freedom when you have the money to self fund projects and are willing to take huge risks.  The pace of innovation is tremendous.  His attitude towards failure is what one needs to rapidly advance.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,044

Being privatized has major advantages.  He chooses how much risk to accept.  Government funded projects do not have that luxury.  They are forced to follow all the military standards and have traceability down to the smallest washer.  SpaceX's level of traceability and standard processes is not any where near military projects.  Knowing engineers who work there, they are operated much like projects in the early days of rocketry .... make it up as you go and make changes on the fly.

This is the freedom when you have the money to self fund projects and are willing to take huge risks.  The pace of innovation is tremendous.  His attitude towards failure is what one needs to rapidly advance.
    He’s not trying to carry people, yet.
    Not a felon
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Legume said:

He’s not trying to carry people, yet.
    And you can be sure that before he gets approval for human flight he'll be required to provide traceability for even the smallest washers. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304

He seems to be pushing ahead at a rate of knots now.  Good luck to him and good for all of us that he has the balls to do it and spends his own money in the process.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Plug in the headphones and crank it to 11.

Interesting bit about the landing of the two boosters and their sonic booms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImoQqNyRL8Y

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• The future of space exploration / exploitation is slipping into private hands quickly. Innovators like Musk are driving the effort. The government is hamstrung by politics, short vision, and very short budgets. The only reason we went to the moon was politics and blank checks....and I don't see that kind of drive happening again anytime soon.

If Space X can get man rated, they will own the market and leave NASA sucking wind with their under funded lack of long term vision.

Rock on , Elon! 
    Living the good life smoking and joking
  • @HeavyG I haven't used my PC headphones in a while - worth digging them out!  That's a cool YouTube channel, too.  Thanks!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes